on-the-go playlist on old ipods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
noticed that the new ipods allow on-the-go playlists - i.e. you can create a playlist right on the ipod.



I've been waiting for this rather obvious feature - currently i have to either make a new playlist on itunes everytime i go out with my ipod, listen to a old playlist (which is fine, but it's nice to make new ones), or just random play the whole library or old playlists.



It seems like this should be a software issue that could be added to the the old ipods, but the current ipod software update makes no mention of this.



anyone know anything about this?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Nope. Not included in 1.3. The only change is the addition of AAC.



    low-fi
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mine had the backlight option on the main menu. i guess that is the "user interface improvments"





    on the go playlist would be SOOO kick ass
  • Reply 3 of 14
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The new ones also have a feature that allows you to reorganise the menus - that hasn't made it either.



    Backlight on the maiin menu. Whoop-de-do...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Yes, a very dissapointing update. I was really looking forward to costumizing my main menu so that I could get straight to my songs without having to go through 2 options.



    Of less importance, no new games either.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I heard that the games were only on the new ones because they use the new, different button layout. But I have a feeling that a number of features have been purposely left out of the firmware update to get people to buy the new iPods instead.



    BTW... interesting that the 10 GB is actually more portable in that it comes with a Firewire cable instead of a cradle. You can get a cable for the other ones... but the 10 GB comes with it. I think I'm going to get one too, the 10 GB is a great deal and although it doesn't have the remote, case and cradle, it at least has the all-touch interface unlike the old 5 GB.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Overhope

    The new ones also have a feature that allows you to reorganise the menus - that hasn't made it either.



    Backlight on the maiin menu. Whoop-de-do...




    Do the new ones support pressing-menu to light up the backlight? it would explain why backlight has been moved if it didn't...I'd love to know



    low-fi
  • Reply 7 of 14
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by low-fi

    Do the new ones support pressing-menu to light up the backlight? it would explain why backlight has been moved if it didn't...I'd love to know



    low-fi




    I have just watched the stream, and Job's alludes to the click-hold mechanism working. Phew.



    low-fi
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 970member
    I'll keep hope alive. Maybe the new features will be added in the next few days. The new iPods haven't shipped yet.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    So the older iPods will be left with reduced functionality?



    My 10GB iPod got stolen a couple of weeks ago... I need a replacement. I still feel sort of sad for the loss of it. It was a very cool companion for walking, playing when I was bored, etc. I guess I need a replacement soon. [/vent]
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno





    BTW... interesting that the 10 GB is actually more portable in that it comes with a Firewire cable instead of a cradle. You can get a cable for the other ones... but the 10 GB comes with it. I think I'm going to get one too, the 10 GB is a great deal and although it doesn't have the remote, case and cradle, it at least has the all-touch interface unlike the old 5 GB.




    actually the 15 and 30 come with that cable as well. the cable attaches to either the dock or the ipod. the dock is essentially just a pass through.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah I read that a little later...



    I hope Apple comes out with a 1.4 software update to provide the new games, alarm clock, and on-the-go playlists. I could see if they started cutting off updates for products that they abandoned 6-18 months ago... but ones that they were selling just yesterday? They really need to add the new features to avoid alienating all their customers.



    BTW... I think I'll pick up a 10 or 15 GB one soon. Including sales tax, I end up paying about $25 less than retail price for them (educational discount), so maybe the 15 GB would be a better deal because it comes with all the stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

    BTW... I think I'll pick up a 10 or 15 GB one soon. Including sales tax, I end up paying about $25 less than retail price for them (educational discount), so maybe the 15 GB would be a better deal because it comes with all the stuff.



    Yup, as with most things out there, the middle rounds is where you get the best value for your money. Go with the 15 GB version. I don't like the 30 GB version cos it's fat.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

    I don't like the 30 GB version cos it's fat.



    heehee. my how quickly we get spoiled! the "fat" 30 GB is only .01 inches thicker than the previous "slim" 10 GB model. it's still thinner than any of the other previous iPods.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 970member
    Everyone needs to contribute to the forum on Apple's iPod Discussion area on this topic. I know, for a fact, that they read that forum religiously.
Sign In or Register to comment.