LAN Party. What games?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I may be hosting a lan party in a few months. (25+ people. ) I've been downloading Quake 3 demo, Quake 3 team arena demo, and unreal tournament demo or Mac, Linux and Windows. I will also be running a Counter-Strike server because some of my PC "friends" will want that. I was wondering if there were any more popular games that are, perferably, cross-platform or at least very popular. I don't spend a lot of time playing games.

8) THX

PS: If anyone has hosted a LAN party before, feel free to post suggestions/tips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    toss some warcraft 3 in there too. if they can stomach it.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Ghost Recon!---A wonderful waste of time.

Myth II---in our study of gampelay, let's not leave out the classics.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Ghost Recon

Urban Terror

Wolfenstein

Medal of Honor

Unreal
  • Reply 4 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Up up for Q3A but why the demo?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I would recommend Total Annihilation. The Macs and PC's can't play against each other but it is like $10 so it is cheap fun.

I recently purchased SIN for Mac and it is a pretty good little game for $10. (Noticing a trend here)

Also I still always like Quake II which has been open sourced and thus compiled for everything out there.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Up up for Q3A but why the demo?

I'll probably end up spending $100 on the party stuff (Food, equiptment, more food, and maybe a game or two.) But I don't want to end up buying a lot of new games I may not use again or won't have time to play.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Warcraft 3 rocks. Play thoese XL size maps with 4 players. Awesome!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    1. RtCW.

2. Ghost Recon/Rogue Spear/Rainbow6.

3. Starcraft.

4. Warcraft 3.

5. Myth 2.

6. Quake3.

7. MoH:AA.

8. Rune.

Food recommendations: lots of sugar water. lots. red bull and the ilk. chips, pizza, popcorn.

Make sure everyone has/brings enough cables. It's a bitch when someone brings their entire rig, only to be stuck playing single-player due to a lack of ethernet cables. Limit the volume level. Everyone should bring their own headphones to keep playing into the wee hours of the morning and not keep anyone up. (I'm assuming you're at home with parents and/or a spouse.) Ask a few people to bring some good DVDs in case people get sick of playing and want to do something else during the ungodly hours of your LAN party. Keep a light on in the bathroom at all times. I'm not kidding, a light needs to be on at all times. Keep a few blankets around for those who want to pass out.

That's all I can think of right now.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Oh, for the PC weenies, tell at least one person to bring their Windows install/system restore disks and numerous other driver disks (graphics card, optical drive, etc.) I remember on LAN party where someone's computer was nuked (we still don't know why) and he had to re-install everything, from the OS up. Bring lots of surge protectors.

Have fun.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, I was gonna say make sure everyone brings enough cables for themselves. You know... "no guarantee you'll have a rig/cabling for your rig." And if anyone has some good game systems, bring those too! I don't know of any good multiplayer PS2 games but if anyone has a GameCube with Smash Bros. or an XBox with Halo or Fuzion Frenzy or something, those are great.

And I second the recommendation for Starcraft! That'll run on just about any machine... my brother had it going on his G4, a beige G3, a PowerBook 3400, a Pentium II, a Pentium III, and a PowerMac 8100. Yeah it ran fine on all of those! Except the 8100, PII, and 3400 slowed down when he had a few too many Protoss Carriers on the screen... still, pretty good for such a sweet game!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    oh yeah, starcraft and Gamecube would both rule.

big votes for those two
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Funny, I thought starcraft would be a little old. I have Starcraft for Mac & PC and will install it. As for Cat5, I will buy a bunch and maybe another switch, but I was also planning to use my 2 wireless networks. That should also free up some resources.

Light in the bathroom... I won't ask, but it will be done.

I totally forgot! Surge protectors are a must. My house actually floats a few volts above ground. I will have to try to fix that.

Keep the great suggestions coming!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    starcraft. works on anything, supports like 10? players. DEFINENTLY go for quake 3, when there is little or no lag in quake 3 it rocks. (HAHA i just blew you up)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Myth. . .

The best multiplayer game. ever.

I like War3, but I'm not really into all that building crap. Myth is about battle strategy, rather than "how is best to upgrade given your opponent" (WAR3) or "who can build fastest" (Starcraft).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Light in the bathroom... I won't ask, but it will be done.

Let's just say I've had too many bad moments when semi-concious guests go stumbling through my house in search of the bathroom.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Myth. . .

The best multiplayer game. ever.

I like War3, but I'm not really into all that building crap. Myth is about battle strategy, rather than "how is best to upgrade given your opponent" (WAR3) or "who can build fastest" (Starcraft).

Assassin on Dead Man's Chest....best...game...ever...

Anyone remember the spam clan? We littered the top 10 list on Assassin for almost a year.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I remember on LAN party where someone's computer was nuked (we still don't know why) and he had to re-install everything, from the OS up.

That happened at every LAN game my friends and I held. Good times, even if we did spend a hour setting the stuff up, retreiving cables from other peoples' houses, theiving power cables from all the appliances in the house and reinstalling someone's OS.

Team Fortress (Quake 1) ? Maybe a bit too retro.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    DOOM Legacy.