iTunes 4 Ripping at 5.2x, why?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why is iTunes 4 only ripping a CD that I own only at 5x speed? I have a iBook 800, with 640, running 10.2.5 I thought that it would be able to rip faster than this, I'm encoding into AAC 128.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Apparently because you're encoding into AAC.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Anyway. "Should be faster" is very relative. I import, on a 600 MHz iBook, at about 4x or a little higher if I'm lucky. That is in MP3 @ 192 kbps. But that's MP3, with iTunes using some algorithm that is middle way between speed and quality. You can bet that AAC algorithms will be slower for some time, untill the algorithms have been around and been optimized a lot. I mean, that's the main issue: if you would import into AIFF, you'd be getting, probably 20x or so.

What are you used to? You give little info...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    millsdudemillsdude Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Anyway. "Should be faster" is very relative. I import, on a 600 MHz iBook, at about 4x or a little higher if I'm lucky. That is in MP3 @ 192 kbps. But that's MP3, with iTunes using some algorithm that is middle way between speed and quality. You can bet that AAC algorithms will be slower for some time, untill the algorithms have been around and been optimized a lot. I mean, that's the main issue: if you would import into AIFF, you'd be getting, probably 20x or so.

What are you used to? You give little info...

Thanks. I was looking at the data on my CD player and it said it could rip a lot faster at 20x or 40x, but I understand what you mean that it is the software not the hardware that is causing it to be slower than I thought. What CDs do you use when you burn a disc, I heard that Verb...(sp?) are the best and can be burnt at up to 8x. You know of anything else that is fast?

Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    that is read speed, which is not the same as ripping and encoding. this is also an area where having something with altivec really makes a difference--my Powerbook cracks 13x on AAC encoding.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    millsdudemillsdude Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

that is read speed, which is not the same as ripping and encoding. this is also an area where having something with altivec really makes a difference--my Powerbook cracks 13x on AAC encoding.

What is this altivec you speak of? I assume that my iBook does not have it. But can I get it?

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    AltiVec is the so-called Velocity Engine on a G4 processor. iBooks have G3 processors, so I'm afraid not.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by millsdude

I was looking at the data on my CD player and it said it could rip a lot faster at 20x or 40x, but I understand what you mean that it is the software not the hardware that is causing it to be slower than I thought. What CDs do you use when you burn a disc, I heard that Verb...(sp?) are the best and can be burnt at up to 8x. You know of anything else that is fast?

Thanks again.

Your combo drive might very well have a read spead of 32x or even more, I don't know that. That's, of course, base reading of raw bits. A little overhead, moving everything across the motherboard and into the harddrive and such, and you're already a bit slower. But still above 20x or 30x (depending on your drive model, again).

I would recommend Verbatim, it's what I have come to consider the brand of choice for stuff that really matters. I have had some ceedees give up on me (less than a milimeter of 'rot', making sure that you cannot possibly retrieve that large file you just needed).

I think regular Verbatim Datalife cd-r's these days can handle, at least, 32x write speed. I presume the drive model you have is capable of burning at 16x. As the speed of the chained system is always determined by the slowest link, that would enable you to burn at 16x, which I can only long for these days.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by millsdude

Why is iTunes 4 only ripping a CD that I own only at 5x speed? I have a iBook 800, with 640, running 10.2.5 I thought that it would be able to rip faster than this, I'm encoding into AAC 128.

you may want to update your ato name thing at the bottom of your posts cuz it says 10.2.3 and you say u have 10.2.5
  • Reply 9 of 13
    you'll find that your encoding settings can have a large effect on speed. if you're using Variable Bit Rate compression and filtering frequencies below 10hz...it can have a cumulative effect. even the kind and complexity of the music you're ripping can play a part.

my advice is to experiment ripping the exact same track with a variety of settings to arrive at a encoding speed and quality you can live with.

until itunes 4...i was using a custom setup:

VBR medium high quality 92-164kbps, no frequency filtering, joint stereo. not the best...but a decent balance of size and fidelity.

hope this helps!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    ripping from CD -> AAC is a little bit slower as I have experienced. About 13x (track #1) to 20x (track #12) at the default 128k.

Form CD -> MP3 (192k VBR and 320k). about 20x - 24x.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Does ACC encoding support Dual Processors as well?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Are you running anythng else at the same time or ripping in the background? That's always what cuts the performance of my importing process.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    iLife discussions belong in Digital Hub.

Moving now.