Browsing iTunes music store through Safari

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a way to browse the iTunes music store through safari or another browser? I know it's not supposed to work, but is there any way to do it?

I still don't understand why you can't even look at the song selection without iTunes. The way to keep people in, is to leave people out!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    No, you can't...and i suspect that they WANT to keep people out, so they can get the system working cleanly before the Windows iTunes rollout later this year.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    And why would Apple want you to browse music through a web browser?

iPhoto to browse photos...iTunes to browse music...Safari to browse the web...

Get it? It's part of Apple's theory of UI. We'll probably see the Finder going in the same direction.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

iPhoto to browse photos...iTunes to browse music...Safari to browse the web...

Get it? It's part of Apple's theory of UI. We'll probably see the Finder going in the same direction.

How about how MS uses IE to browse the system like a webpage??
  • Reply 4 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My understanding is that the iTunes store isn't a web page per se, it's a WebObjects app on their servers that shuttles XML to iTunes. It does so via HTTP, but it isn't HTML.

[added]Bill Bumgarner's blog on April 29:

http://www.pycs.net/bbum/

Quote:

Some random notes:

I figured out how the music store defines the GUI within iTunes. It is entirely generated by the server side [WebObjects] application and is described by a big hunk of XML.

End result: It is trivial for Apple to integrate "iTunes content" into other media -- web pages, email, etc... Similarly, it is trivial to define just about any look and feel desired to be presented via the iTunes portal. Apple has built a strong foundation.

• Reply 5 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

My understanding is that the iTunes store isn't a web page per se, it's a WebObjects app on their servers that shuttles XML to iTunes. It does so via HTTP, but it isn't HTML.

sweet...i've always heard webobjects was powerful

man apple has an ace up its sleeve here, they are getting so much recognition and support by artists with this, lets hope they can keep a hold in the market until they come out with iTunes for windows then the market for it shoudl EXPLOAD...give it a coupel months after it comes out for people to check out

i hope when it comes out for windows it grows exponentially!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Because I work on a WIN2K machine but I could be browsing and spending money on things to listen to when I get home.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Just go here.

That will get you what you want.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    iTunes and its music store are a part of the Digital Hub. As such, this thread is being moved to that forum.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

How about how MS uses IE to browse the system like a webpage??

This is a mistake. It takes one poorly written software and makes it the 'major' (read *only*) way to access files in all locations. One ring to rule them all doesn't worked (or didn't you catch that movie.)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Bunge, just wait a little longer for the Windows version of iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

This is a mistake. It takes one poorly written software and makes it the 'major' (read *only*) way to access files in all locations. One ring to rule them all doesn't worked (or didn't you catch that movie.)

Can't you see that I was being sarcastic?