I'm an uncle!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AND, started a cool new job...both today. Wow, what a cool kick-off to the week.

First, my little sister (okay, she's 31) just gave birth - less than two hours ago - to a cute little baby girl named Breckyn Delaney. The baby is happy and healthy and a little cutie-pie. Mom and dad are fine too, but exhausted.

"Uncle Paul"...I like the sound of that.

And I started what promises to be a pretty interesting, cool job at a magazine for rare and collector's coins. It's all Mac-based, working on a snazzy G4, the latest versions of all the Adobe stuff, etc.

Good pay, cool casual atmosphere, a decent drive, flexible hours. And it's something kinda new because I know NOTHING about coins and all that stuff, but it's always fun to learn something new or get into a new area a bit. So far, I've combined design/illustration skills with the real estate, automotive, newspaper, book publishing and greeting card fields. Rare coins? Sure, why not.

Anyway...what a day. A powerful "one-two" punch of a day, to say the least. But very cool and happy. I'm sipping a beer right now and eating some chips and salsa, just kinda slowly coming down from it all.

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Congrats Uncle Paul! Nieces are loads of fun. Watching them turn from toddlers to 'girls' is fascinating.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Yes, congrats!

Hope you done the lottery too... three in a row
  • Reply 3 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Haha...ACTUALLY, I DID buy a lottery ticket on Sunday (drawing is tonight). The freakiest thing? 99% of the time, I simply do a "quick pick" or whatever it's called, where the machine chooses 6 numbers for you.

On Sunday, for some reason, I'm standing there and I grab a pencil and choose the numbers myself.

A sign, perhaps?

We'll see. If I win, I know someone who's going to have a 17" PowerBook by this weekend. Screw the 12" iBook...

• Reply 4 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Very cool man, very cool. Good things come in threes, so it couldn't hurt to plop down a dollar on the lottery.

I don't hear that name often - I have a neice named Delaney.

I know... pull out the plastic and order that new iBook, and what the hell, throw a 15 GB iPod in there for good measure. It is after all, your day.

Oh, and you're not stuck with Uncle Paul. My neices call me Uncle God. Easy to manipulate. heh heh
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Congratulations l'oncle Paul.

Uncle Paulie. Nice.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    "Uncle Paulie"...even BETTER! Now I sound like a made guy. You know, a goodfella!

[DeNiro mode]What? What'd you say?!? You showin' your Uncle Paulie some disrespect?[/DeNiro mode]

Uncle Paulie it is.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    here the first thing that popped to mind was Uncle ****er.

to much South Park
  • Reply 8 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Congratulations!

Quote:

We'll see. If I win, I know someone who's going to have a 17" PowerBook by this weekend

You can actually buy them in stores now?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

here the first thing that popped to mind was Uncle ****er.

to much South Park

HA! Ditto.

Shut you ****ing face uncle ****er!Your a cock sucking ass licking uncle ****er!Your an uncle ****er yes its true,nobody ****s uncles quite like you!Shut your ****ing face uncle ****er!Your the one that ****ed you uncle uncle ****er!You don't eat or sleep of mow the lawn,you just **** your uncle all day long!

*fart noises*

whats goinig on here?!

*more fart noises*

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Uncle ****er,uncle ****er uncle ****er uncle ****er......Shut your ****ing face uncle ****er,your a boner biting bastard uncle ****er!Your an uncle ****er I must say,well you ****ed your uncle yesterday!Haha!Uncle ****er,thats U-N-C-L-E **** you!Uncle ****er!!!!!Tonight!Suck my balls
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

You can actually buy them in stores now?

If I win the lottery, I'll fly to Cupertino and pick one up from Apple themselves and have Steve autograph it with a Sharpie. How's that?

• Reply 11 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    "One of these posts is not like the others, one of these posts just isn't the same... "

• Reply 12 of 21
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    A responsible job that is, uncleship. I'm proud to say I'm the favorite uncle of both of my 'unclesayers'. It helps to spend a LOT of (needless to add QUALITY?) time with the young'uns, and of course, having a motorcycle and asking them for a ride to England.

Anyway, I hope you live close to them, cuz I kind of have noticed that uncles and aunts can be really important in someone's life. Especially if they're immoderately cool. Like a certain aunt and a certain uncle I have, or like I am, or like you are (if I am allowed to be the judge), mr. pscates, albeit that you are of the lesser political faith.

• Reply 13 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    One? pfff, amateur

I've got 10!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

I've got 10!

Is that one kid for each of your 2 brothers' 5 wives you crazy Mormon.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yes, and they're all named Joseph Smith.

"Come play with us, Adam, forever and ever and ever."

• Reply 16 of 21
    Your nephew plays for the Timberwolves?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Is George Foreman the moron (moroni perhaps if you are mormon) who named all four of his sons George? Jesus Christ what a frickin ego you would have to have to do that.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I changed to a newish position today. I'm not liking it in that they took my desk away and now I share an office with my boss. He's a good guy but the first day I'm locked out I'm taking back my old desk by force.

In protest I just worked on my own stuff on my powerbook today
  • Reply 19 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Uncledom. I have lets see...eight of the little buggers all told. Two nieces and six nephews. Nieces and nephews (assuming their parents raise em right) can be loads of fun.

This way I don't need kids of my own, I can just borrow them from my brothers or sisters a couple times a year and go do fun uncle stuff like playing hockey or baseball, or dunking them in the ocean. Seriously, they're a lot of fun most times. If you're even a little bit lenient you become the instant "good guy" and the parents become the "bad guys"...bwaa hahahahaha. Revenge!

• Reply 20 of 21

Congratulations.