Apple is shifting it's focus...

enaena
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just about vomited after going over the Q&A session at the shareholders' meeting recently. I guess at some point Apple will "speak out" about their "relationship" with Motorola.

There is something eerie about all this effort behind iTunes, iMovie, iCal, iDVD, .mac, iPods---without a significant (what are we up to---167Mhz bus---SCARY!) hardware innovation in, let's face it, nearly four years.

I have come to the conclusion that Apple is concentrating on producing "computer appliances" packed full of iGoodies, and letting its Pro users down easy.

Am I Crazy? What signs would you point to that would suggest otherwise?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

All signs do indicate that you are, in fact, crazy. Check the sig.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    enaena Posts: 667member
    oh no.

*mixes another Cape Cod*
  • Reply 3 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Uh, Final Cut? DVD Studio Pro? Emagic? Am I missig anything?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I have come to the conclusion that Apple is concentrating on producing "computer appliances" packed full of iGoodies, and letting its Pro users down easy.

I'm seeing a number, 3 digits. Does that mean anything to anyone in the audience? 890, 960, 790... something like that. Does that mean anything to anyone in the audience? Because it's coming in really strong right now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    They basically bought those titles---and they have alot of cash. Also, most of that is a holdover for an earlier paradigm.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm seeing a number, 3 digits. Does that mean anything to anyone in the audience? 890, 960, 790... something like that. Does that mean anything to anyone in the audience? Because it's coming in really strong right now.

*adjusts tin foil helmet*

no...nothing---you'd think they would have massaged us up to 333fsb.......
  • Reply 7 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

They basically bought those titles---and they have alot of cash. Also, most of that is a holdover for an earlier paradigm.

Huh? Apple is aggressively going after digital media. If Photoshop weren't so entrenched and Adobe weren't so powerful, they'd probably go up against it too. Obviously, it's not hardware, but they are doing as much as they can in terms of software to compensate, stuff that they couldn't do without controlling hardware too (at least not reliably). Apple is both consumer and pro-oriented, but all of their energy is going into leveraging digital media from both ends of the consumer chain. Right now, they have the software in place (mostly) to do this, and I'm sure they're sweating bullets over getting the hardware in the same place. But I don't think they've abandoned the pro market, their hardware is "just" languishing behnd their new software platform, which I understand a lot of pros are looking at as the only factor in the equation.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

*adjusts tin foil helmet*

no...nothing---you'd think they would have massaged us up to 333fsb.......

I've been hearing the "Apple is abandoning pros! Waaaaaa!" argument ever since the iMac appeared.

They can't do what they can't do, and you're blaming them for focusing on what they can do? You can't "massage" a bus to a clock speed it can't handle no matter how much you want the pro market.

The G4 was a gamble. It looked great at the time. It didn't quite pan out. It takes 2 to 3 years to design a new CPU, and it's now about 2-3 years after it became clear that the G4 wasn't going places. x86 was not an option. So here we are.

The number you want to tune in is '970'. It's real. It's coming. And since you're hung up on bus clock speed, how does 900MHz sound? And, by the way, why would Apple acquire Logic and Shake, and acquire/develop FCP and DVDSP if they had no intention of releasing hardware that could run them well?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    ena, can't you do some pre-digesting beforeyou squack? Then the questions would at least be more interesting.