RIAA Sends IMs to Song-Swappers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030429/3/3akqc.html

I have turned to religion and am praying to God that Apple sues the RIAA for copyright violation.

Barto

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha i use kazaa on a PC (i have messenging services turned off) lets see how they do against me!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I have turned to religion and am praying to God that Apple sues the RIAA for copyright violation.

What copyright violation?

Could this be considered SPAM and punishable via the same methods?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I love the RIAA's guerilla tactics. They crack me up. IMO, there's no harm in tempering file-swap-crazy kids' (and adults') enthusiasm.

Those who have the time to put up with popups, spyware and digging through servers to find the MP3s they want will keep doing so. Those who have limited time (or use it more wisely) will realize that Apple's easy to use music service strikes a good balance between users' rights (fair use) and authors' rights (reasonable compensation for artists and record companies). In the long run, buying music from the iTunes Music Store will save many people time and money. Maybe it will save the recording industry too.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i wonder if i can send one back that says "Suck my fat c*ck you stupid ass ****ers."
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i wonder if i can send one back that says "Suck my fat c*ck you stupid ass ****ers."

if i get one i'll send one back like that

i love how some people are saying its about the rights of the musicians and then RECORD COMPANIES are suing the people
  • Reply 6 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i love how some people are saying its about the rights of the musicians and then RECORD COMPANIES are suing the people

The record companies are the musicians' agents (in legal terms) and thus are "suing the people" on the artists' behalf. And of course, the record companies have a vested interest as well.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

The record companies are the musicians' agents (in legal terms) and thus are "suing the people" on the artists' behalf. And of course, the record companies have a vested interest as well.

In legal terms indeed. ASCAP and BMI fit the description more closely in real terms.

The issue here is that the labels are the copyright holders. They're doing this absolutely for themselves, and throwing the artist whatever crumbs they managed to secure. These are the same people who tried to sneak a provision past Congress that would make any recording for a label into a work for hire. They only care about the artist when they want to score a rhetorical point.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Interesting. The article doesn't explicitly say so, but it looks like some RIAA goons got Kazaa accounts, monitored/downloaded files, and sent automated personal messages to perceived violators. A /. reader noted that sending harrasing or threatening messages violates the Kazaa user agreement. Wouldn't it be sweet if the RIAA got sued by Kazaa?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'd also like to know if these were based off of assumption of guilt rather than actual guilt. if you traded files with key words in them, were you considered a lawbreaker regardless of the actual file? i would guess yes.