Jobs' rock star status/education

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I watched the entire webcast of the iPod/Music service launch. And as much as Jobs' presentation and schtick is routine to us, he still does such a great sales pitch.

And from the reports I've read, his personal friends include many rock stars such as Mick Jagger and Sheryl Crow.

I got to wondering what Jobs' educational background has led him to where he is. Is he technically knowlegeable? Or does he just very well informed at these launches. It seems he would have more of a marketing degree than anything technical.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
  • Reply 2 of 13
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    steve is intimately involved in all aspects of a products creation, development and launch. years ago, he said it himself... he's a product guy.

I have no doubt he had a major hand in the creation of iTunes4 and the new iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Sales pitch is mostly the RDF, but overall Steve Jobs-ness, well, that's just Steve I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Sales pitch is mostly the RDF, but overall Steve Jobs-ness, well, that's just Steve I guess.

Ah yes, the power of RDF...I sat in the wee hours last night watching the webcast with a grin on my face the whole time.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    By the way, who came up with the RDF term anyways? Was it someone here on AI?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Steve has some competence as a programmer (he used to work for Atari in that capacity) and as an electrical engineer. He's a college dropout.

His design and marketing senses are completely intuitive, as far as I can tell, and educated by experience and by the talent he tends to surround himself with. Likewise, his capability as a pitchman appears to be more or less a given.

I'm not sure where Reality Distortion Field came from, but I know for certain that it predates AI.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    anyone have a link to the introduction?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

By the way, who came up with the RDF term anyways? Was it someone here on AI?

Supposedly John Perry Barlow, cofounder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

anyone have a link to the introduction?

You can watch the iTunes Music Store introduction at Special Music Event.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

...and from the reports I've read, his personal friends include many rock stars such as...Sheryl Crow.

And can you blame the sumbitch?

If I ran Apple I'd make her my friend too

Yummy...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

You can watch the iTunes Music Store introduction at Special Music Event.

Why can't I see mine, it connects, requests the data, then after a while it says Session Timed Out and some number
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Supposedly John Perry Barlow, cofounder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

I belive that the term "Reality Distortion Field" came from Jef Rasken (Father of the Macintosh). He was refering to how Steve would listen to a idea of yours, trash it, and then a week later come back to you and say: "Hey, I've got this great idea..." and proceed to feed your idea back to you. Overtime the term has evolved to the bit of verbal goodness we all know and love today, refering to his marketing spin. (As The Apple Turns had a little to do with it too.)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Why can't I see mine, it connects, requests the data, then after a while it says Session Timed Out and some number

Are you using Quicktime 6.2 in X? Everything works fine for me.