iTunes 4 Streaming over your LAN: Bandwidth Killer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is this dangerious for a LAN? I mean what happens when a small company's 10/100 LAN is populated with 10 or 20 or even 100 peeps all streaming there iTunes libraries to each other everyday? Is iTunes a bandwidth killer? I'm a network admin and a music lover too, so I am torn on this issue. Any feedback on this topic is helpful. technical, political, etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It'd be the easiest to just go down to numbers, no?

Suppose all streamed content is encoded at 128 kbps (which is an illusion). You can add up, say 1 per computer. Making 128 x number of computers.

Where are they streaming to? Inside the LAN, on the 100 KB/s ethernet highway, you have plenty of room for that kind of stuff (half saturation of one network node would take about 390 streams at the same time).

However, you're probably talking streaming to the outside? What is your link to the outside then? Downstream/Upstream... It's the upstream you should worry about. Mostly asynchronous, unless your company is serving some webcontent. Try to find out what bandwith (128 kbps, 512 kbps, 1mbit, ...) and do the math at how many streams would clog that.

This, I reckon, is not that difficult at all.