Are you reencoding your stuff?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that the iPod and iTunes support .aac, will you be reencoding your stuff?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    yes, it's consumed all my free time the past few days. i'm at "P" right now.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    Yeah, slowly but surely...

Adding the album art as well...

I wish the Superdrive ripped a bit faster though, it feels really slow.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Slowly but surely wins the race.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Question:

iTunes was always perfect for me so i never even peeked in the preferances panel. When iTunes 4 came out I did, and I discovered that my CD's could be imported in a higherquality mp3. I'm not gonna do the .aac thing cause its confusing, but should i re-import my CD's into a higherquality format, will having CD's in both mess things up? should i just keep at 'better quality' and not change my settings at all?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Question:

iTunes was always perfect for me so i never even peeked in the preferances panel. When iTunes 4 came out I did, and I discovered that my CD's could be imported in a higherquality mp3. I'm not gonna do the .aac thing cause its confusing, but should i re-import my CD's into a higherquality format, will having CD's in both mess things up? should i just keep at 'better quality' and not change my settings at all?

If you're going to reencode, you should just use aac because you get better quality in smaller file sizes. That said, there's no real reason to reencode other than getting better quality. If you're ok with you've got, just leave it that way. BTW, .aac's are not anymore confusing that mp3s. The confusion comes in when you buy one from apple because of the copy protection. .aac files you encode are no different than mp3s.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    I am re encoding everything, and it is taking forever. Kinda like cleaning out your closet. Found a few jems here and there that I have not listened to in a while.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I'm going to do so as well...so long MP3
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I'm not reencoding....yet. But iTunes 4 has inspired me to rip the rest of my collection. I got lazy after it took me the better part of a day to rip all my Blues Explosion CDs to mp3.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I'm reripping...and as someone mentioned above I've found some tunes I haven't listened to in eons. What I do usually is throw out the jewel box and save the insert booklet. I have three of those CaseLogic 100 CD wallets, just about full. The thing is...you haul one out and flip around, and then you just say screw it and play what's in the CD changer already. However, since I got my PowerBook I've basically been using it as my stereo. I use a Monster patch cable to connect from the headphone jack to the inputs on my stereo receiver, and it sounds AWSOME. When I started I had 5 GB of stuff I had ripped as 160 kbps mp3's. After reripping that stuff, I had squeezed it down to 4 GB (using 128 kbps AAC). The AAC files sound great. I even tried a little experiment and played the CD off the Combo drive and the AAC file for my roommate, and she couldn't even tell a difference. I've also since ripped an extra 7 GB of music . I stopped there, and I only have a few more CD's to rip to archive my whole collection. Most of them are ones I really don't like anymore. However, I did rediscover Faith No More's album The Real Thing. Falling To Pieces is a great tune, and I haven't heard it in so long. iTunes is really helping me rediscover the diamonds in the rough in my CD's.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i've re-encoding everything at 128 AAC. previously everything was 192 MP3. i've saved around 4-5 GB of disk space doing so.

i've pretty much stopped using my CDs. my case is pretty much the same as VanDeWaals (i even rediscovered the exact same Faith No More album. heh), i get rid of all jewel cases and store everything in binders.

once the ITMS gets a wider selection, i doubt i'll buy many more CDs, except for local/truly obscure stuff (i've got quite a collection of experimental/noise albums that'll probably never find their way onto ITMS).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I will be re encoding all my 320kbps MP3's into 320kbps AAC's as soon as I get to my mom's. My Beige G3 has trouble ripping CD's (even tried on my Firewire CD Burner same thing) I get crackly sound or pops and hisses, Quality becomes before space so I will be keeping 320kbps AAC, until I can get a 200GB and dedicate it to Music then I will copy over the AIFF's using iTunes, and then ZERO compression.