HOW to share itunes libraries: HELP!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Please forgive me for starting a new topic, but I was losing my mind with the other topic trying to figure out who was helping who and who was talking about what. I was hoping we could keep this on the topic of how to help others share. I am VERY interested in sharing my lib as well as getting some music from you all too.

I have an emac 700 running Jaquar. Cable/DSL firewall router from Linksys. I have DSL via earthlink/mindspring/COVAD. I am networked to another imac 500 (not sure if this will affect anything) my computer's name is "BLANCA" - what else would a would-be sharer or helper need to know...

IP address: 192.168.1.101

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

Ethernet Address: 00:03:93:93:b2:56

I am sure my file sharing is turned on, but would appreciate someone who can help me cover all my bases starting with step 1. I hope I didn't give TOO much information that could allow someone to hack into my computer. If I did, please let me know,

Jessica "technomoron" Welch

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    first, you didnt give out anything really dangerous, infact you didnt even give us your real ip.

go to: http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ to find your real ip. the 192.168.x.y address is actually hidden behind a router or nat of some kind, and is not how inet users would connect to you. fyi: 192.168.x.y, 10.x.y.z, 127.0.0.1, and 169.x.y.z addresses are all local to your computer or subnetwork, and aren't available to others outside on the internet.

open up itunes, and go to the Preferences (iTunes>Preferences). Click Sharing, and turn on "Share my music". If you want select certain playlists to share, or create a password, or change the name of your share.

now your available for others, all thats left is to advertise your ip.

if you have problems, it might be due to a firewall (on your computer, on the router, or anywhere, basically, between u and the internet). if you have access and familiarity with the firewall, open up tcp port 3689, otherwise respond back and tell us about your firewall.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    I got all the way to here in serrano's directions. I got onto my VIRTUAL PRivate whatever...and it asked me about tunnels..and to enable or disable. Disable was checked. It didnt look like serranos nifty pic. I didn't want to screw anything up. MY IP: 69.3.67.102

Can someone try to share with me? I will turn my file sharing on.

In the IP field, place the IP of the mac serving up the tunes. In the port field, put 3689. Make sure to hit any Save or Apply buttons you see.

Last, but not least, go into iTunes/Preferences/Sharing, enable sharing, of your entire library, or selected playlists only if you wish, don't give it a password, title it whatever you want.

Laster, go to http://www.whatismyip.com, that is the ip address all your macs have on the outside world, on the real internet, as opposed to your home network. Come back here, and post it, we should be able to connect from within iTunes/Advanced/Connect to shared music libraries, if you want to get fancy with it you can make links, on a website, or inside of these posts, to your music. You can even add a link to your music in your proflie.

Links to iTunes libraries are preceded by daap:// much like websites are preceded by http:// so the url to your music would be daap://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP being your real ip you got from whatismyip.com

What is essentially happening is that your real ip, the one given to you by your isp is a unique identifier. multiple computers can't have it- a router will take that one ip, and share it among several computers- faking one computer. this is why you have an ip that isn't your real ip, it's just one that is used on your home network, behind your router. When we request your music, over port 3689, the router doesn't know what to do with our request coming over port 3689- it doesn't know what mac is acception data on port 3689- so it just drops it. You need to tell your router that requests that come on port 3689 are for your mac, and to forward the port to you, instead of just dropping the data.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    deleted large post/image
  • Reply 4 of 39
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    What happens when you got to 192.168.1.1? I think that it would take you to your router's setup page. In that page, tell it to open up port 3689 on 192.168.1.101 (that's your computer's local ip address). If you can't get to your router's config page using that address, see if you can find the docs for your router (or post the model here and we can find the docs online).
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Tori, the model is BEFSX41 Linksys router. See picture above of where I get to when I type in the router IP
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by chic4mac

http://www.art4children.com/befsx41ug.pdf

Look at page 65 of the manual. It's got information about forwarding. Enter the port number you want opened (3689) and the ip of the computer you want to serve up that data (192.168.1.101). Then you should be set. You probably WON'T be able to access it from your local network, but we will (just give us your REAL ip address not the 192.x.x.x address).

note: you've got to disable DHCP for the router to get this to work. In other words, you need to assign each computer on your LAN an IP in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 range. Make sure the computer you open the port on is the same one you want to have that ip.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Ok, since you're using a wired router, I'm not sure how much different the setup is, but for me I think if you login to the router (I think 192.168.1.1 for Linksys routers), see if there's an advanced tab, and look for something called port forwarding. Then port forward 3689 to the local IP of your mac that you want to share from (I guess it's currently 192.168.1.101, correct?).

Edit: Chic, if you want to see if that works (which it should), then you can try connecting to her own IP (69.3.67.102), and you should connect to your own library. That's how I checked if mine worked when I was messing with the Linksys wireless router.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I will try that now.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    _Enable Disable

Multicast Pass__

Through:__

_ _Enable Disable

IPSec Pass Through: _

_ _Enable Disable

PPTP Pass Through: _

_ _Enable Disable

Remote Management: _

_ _Enable _ Port: 3689 ( I DID IT!)

Remote Upgrade: _

_ _Enable Disable

NOW WHAT?

_
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

_Enable Disable

Multicast Pass__

Through:__

_ _Enable Disable

IPSec Pass Through: _

_ _Enable Disable

PPTP Pass Through: _

_ _Enable Disable

Remote Management: _

_ _Enable _ Port: 3689 ( I DID IT!)

Remote Upgrade: _

_ _Enable Disable

NOW WHAT?

_

What's your ip and we'll try it.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    man tori.I am so confused. MY REAL IP is 69.3.67.102 and I set my prefs in itunes to share. Will someone try it?

I also set my port to 3689 in advanced settings..

so now..

I need to disable DHCP for the router to get this to work. In other words, you need to assign each computer on your LAN an IP in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 range. Make sure the computer you open the port on is the same one you want to have that ip.

*I am losing it now
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Ok, since you're using a wired router, I'm not sure how much different the setup is, but for me I think if you login to the router (I think 192.168.1.1 for Linksys routers), see if there's an advanced tab, and look for something called port forwarding. Then port forward 3689 to the local IP of your mac that you want to share from (I guess it's currently 192.168.1.101, correct?).

Edit: Chic, if you want to see if that works (which it should), then you can try connecting to her own IP (69.3.67.102), and you should connect to your own library. That's how I checked if mine worked when I was messing with the Linksys wireless router.

MCQ,i will try to connect to myself...if I can figure out where.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

man tori.I am so confused. MY REAL IP is 69.3.67.102 and I set my prefs in itunes to share. Will someone try it?

I also set my port to 3689 in advanced settings..

so now..

I need to disable DHCP for the router to get this to work. In other words, you need to assign each computer on your LAN an IP in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 range. Make sure the computer you open the port on is the same one you want to have that ip.

*I am losing it now

It doesn't seem to be working. What you need to do now is go to your sharing mac and in the network preferences, change the network settings to look like the screen shot below:

That should work. I think....
  • Reply 15 of 39
    It's Advanced --> connect to shared music in iTunes.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    deleted large image
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Hey, torifile, I'm on dial-up right now, so I don't want to go look at the PDF (too long a download), but check on that p. 65 or whatever, I don't think chic setup the right thing on her router, what her text described i think is another page. IIRC it should be a page that says Port Forwarding, with the ability to enter 10 different ports to forward from, and an Application box to type in what Application it's for. See if you can capture a screenshot of it.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Ok. I added my IP to DNS and applied. Now what?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Try to connec to your library (see how to in iTunes per my post above).

If it still doesn't work, feel free to IM me on AIM, sn is bkbstat.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Hey, torifile, I'm on dial-up right now, so I don't want to go look at the PDF (too long a download), but check on that p. 65 or whatever, I don't think chic setup the right thing on her router, what her text described i think is another page. IIRC it should be a page that says Port Forwarding, with the ability to enter 10 different ports to forward from, and an Application box to type in what Application it's for. See if you can capture a screenshot of it.

You're right. Chic, the tab you want has "forwarding" at the top (at least according to the pdf you posted). On page 65 of the manual, it talks about port forwarding, which is what you want.

This is the screen you want: