Redeeming CompUSA iPod warranty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I purchased a 20GB iPod when they came out last July and immediately went to CompUSA to get their $30 2 year warranty that covers everything from defects to me dropping it in a pool. Anyway, my iPod has been locking up a lot lately and acting fairly strange when trying to play my tunes sometimes. I was hoping new iPods would be released this week and luckily they were. My question is...I paid $500 for the 20GB, if I take it into CompUSA and ask for a replacement (I'm calling to make sure they don't have any 20GB in stock btw) do you think they will give me 30GB as a replacement. I'm wondering if they are going to try to give me the 15GB as a replacement. I figure my grounds for demanding the 30GB is that I paid $500 for the 20GB and don't want 5GB less than what I paid for. Hopefully they don't charge me for an upgrade or anything. What do you think they will say, and what would my grounds be for getting the 30GB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    First, if your iPod is freezing a lot you should just try restoring the software (not just updating).

Second, I'm inclined to think that since it's still under it's one year manufacturers warranty they would probably send it in for you to Apple, or direct you on how to do it.

I doubt they'd give you a replacement, with a new model, just because yours likely needs a software restore.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by seb

First, if your iPod is freezing a lot you should just try restoring the software (not just updating).

Second, I'm inclined to think that since it's still under it's one year manufacturers warranty they would probably send it in for you to Apple, or direct you on how to do it.

I doubt they'd give you a replacement, with a new model, just because yours likely needs a software restore.

Tried restoring the software. And that didn't work. This morning I got an interesting response from my Pod. I turned it on and went to my playlists, and it would play the last second or two of each song and move to the next. Kinda crazy if you ask me.

A friend of mine had the 10GB when the 20's came out, and they replaced his with a 20GB when he agreed to pay the difference. This is a little different situation though due to the staggered storage. The warranty is a "replacement" plan, not a service plan. The replacement plan is an "on the spot" replacement of a defective or damaged unit according to CompUSA teenage sales rep. I guess I'll call them tomorrow to see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    In that case, good luck then!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Make sure you take your receipt. That'll give you some leverage regarding how much you get. I don't think they'll let you get a 30giger, but if you're nice enough and the manager is concerned about customer service maybe you'll get it. They'll usually only upgrade you when they don't have a comparable one in stock. Make sure that they don't have the old 20giger otherwise you'll get that one for sure.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Make sure that they don't have the old 20giger otherwise you'll get that one for sure.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing...