Combo DVD player and VCR?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anybody know of a relatively cheap combo DVD and VCR player? My grandmother's VCR just bit the dust, and I'd like to get her a DVD player. She still has lots of cassettes around though, and doesn't want to give up on those. Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have a GOVIDEO DVD/VCR deck. Unfortunately, some company has a patent on DVD/VCR combos and almost ALL manufactures use the SAME board and components. There are a bunch of really buggy things with mine, but mostly because I have a custom-built home entertainment system. Hooking it up to a single TV using composite video works fine.

Problems:

1- S-Video only works with DVD, not VHS.

2- Line out ports do not have an (or a good) audio compressor.

An audio compressor tries to make the volume at a constant level. Counteracting the "loud commercial, quiet show" problem

3- The remote is not intuitive and should be redesigned.

All-in-all, I would definatly trade up if these problems were fixed, but it is still easier to use and learn than 2 seperate devices.

As for prices, you really have to shop around and see what is around you.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mbezzombezzo Posts: 72member
    Great, appreciate the info. This is going to be for very casual (and basic) use, so the only negative I can see is the bad remote you mentioned. I'll have to check them out.

Thanks,

Matt