12" mouse button

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone. I just got my new 12" Powerbook today. Does anyone know if the mouse button is supporse to be so high? Mine is definately higher than it seems like it should be. It is a few milimeters higher than the surrounding area. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yup that's about right. I'd call it 1.5mm at the most. I put a rule on next time I'm at work.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Mine is also about 1.5mm proud of the surrounding surface, so yes. It probably makes it easier to locate when you take your hands of tke keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addenine

Hi everyone. I just got my new 12" Powerbook today. Does anyone know if the mouse button is supporse to be so high? Mine is definately higher than it seems like it should be. It is a few milimeters higher than the surrounding area. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

I got mine last week, to replace my old iBook. I noticed it immediately(by feel, you totally feel it). It's looks high enough to touch the screen and the edges are kinda sharp. Do you have an airport card in yours?

check out this review:

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0304/rev.pbg412.html

they mention the higher button and that Apple confirms it's an irregularity and it's covered by warranty... i took it to my local apple store and the genius sez it's not covered at all and apple was probably being nice to the reviewer...jeez!

i believe it's shoddy design, cuz NO other trackpad in Apple's line is like that...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Mine's about a millimetre proud of the surface.

If you look at the Quicktime VR in the Hardware Gallery, it's quite obviously a little higher than the surround (the 17" looks about the same, as does the iBook from the best pictures I can see).

I don't suspect that Jonathan Ive would be too happy with manufacturing defects on the machines in the Gallery, so I would say it's meant to be like that.

Works fine for me: just enough lip for the side of my thumb to know where the button is.