games for the powerbook 12"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been looking for a thread about this topic, but I could not find what I was looking for.

What kind of games do you play on the powerbook? I want to know if games like Medall of Honor or Return to castle Wolfenstein are playable on the powerbook 12"? Which (especialy freeware) games would you recomend. Is there a game like MS Minesweeper for the Mac (this is the best software Microsoft has :-))?

I'm not a gamer, I just want to have some funny games installed.

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sure you can play Wolfenstein. You just have to see "lines." Or "image shift." Look close when you're moving especially sideways and you will the top section looks left of the middle section which looks left of the bottom section. My thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...owerbook+lines

Other than that this machine is the best.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Aquatic's machine is unique: I have one and I've never had a problem remotely like that. Current games are all playable on the 12" Powerbook. Although games released over the next couple of years (e.g. Doom III) will be playable on it, it won't be at the highest detail levels/resolutions.

Aquatic: have you tried demonstrating your PowerBook's graphical wonkyness in an Apple Authorised Repair Center yet?

Have you turned vertical sync on in Wolfenstein?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Sorry but if you don't see it you aren't looking close enough. I think it's just a performance issue but I don't recall having weird lines like this on my iBook for SNES9X or RockNES. You should've seen this screenshot I had in my thread. Sorry but you have it. Good for you that it doesn't bother you. Once you notice it I bet you'll hate me. Hopefully it can be updated.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Aquatic's machine is unique:

No, it is not unique. Simply, we don't usually pay much attention to such details in sideways movement. Personally, I noticed that rather quickly but it is not something that really annoys me. I am not sure if it is exactly a performance issue, as Aquatic points out. Wolfenstein (return to Castle) is very smooth when you move straight but the image shift, when you move sideways, occurs without unusual drop in frame rate (often there is no drop at all). Furthermore, even in Wolfenstein 3D (if you can remember or know that) there exists some image shift when moving sideways (in Classic of course) !!! I think it is more a driver issue related to image quality in full screen moving scenes.

Other than that...don't frighten you games like RTCW? I remember the first time I opened the demo in the catacombs: I closed almost immediately the game . Ah well, I think I am getting too old for such gaming ... time for Wolfenstein 3D
  • Reply 5 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    It's not just his machine. A lot of us GhzTi users have it, too.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    BTW: Max Payne
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

A lot of us GhzTi users have it, too.

Now, that's interesting. I thought that it affected only the 12" powerbook with the nvidia card.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I have Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Black & White, Warcraft III, Diablo II and Clive Barker's Undying on my 12" right now. Of those, only Undying has given me any real trouble finding playable settings to use.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    All I can say is it is not an LCD issue, it occurrs with an external monitor hooked in and the LCD off since I had it closed at boot.

PB yes I when I first got it I played it at 3am with all the lights off and the volume maxed on a dark and stormy night until I was in the catacombs killing zombie Nazis! hells yea! I thought that was the end of the game, then I got to this outside part and I can't catch that truck and avoid setting the alarm off!!! I'm stuck help!! And Max Payne also does this. And even games in SNES9X and RockNES. But I dunno why a 1ghz TiBook would do it, with ATi which is high quality. Maybe it's just performance but I mean NES games didn't do this on my Blue and White G3...So I dunno. Hope it can be fixed. It is kinda annoying but I'm still ecstatic I can play relatively new games (coming from an iBook 500.)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I'm not a gamer, I just want to have some funny games installed.

thanx

So, you can search for games in Apple's game downloads 1 or in Apple's game downloads 2. If you know titles, then Versiontracker can be very helpful.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    The only real gaming I have done on my footlong is with Civ III (need to order the medal of honor expansion pack though).

Civ III actually plays much quicker/smoother than on my old Dual 500MHz 1GB RAM. Using my Highly Precise Deductive Game Benchmarking Brain Utility? (HPDGBDU?) I can also tell you that 3D game performance is going to be improved by a healthy 30% across the board.

Footlong? Game on!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    If you don't mind the somewhat lacklustre graphics, try games like No One Lives Forever, Heretic II, Hexen II, Fallout and Fallout II, all from MacPlay. They're quite old, but they play very nicely and won't be taxing on your system like some of the newer titles that are out now. For me, an added bonus is that they don't need the CD to play, which helps to conserve battery life.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

funny games

Fallout and Fallout II.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I could never get into fallout 2 or fallout 1, I will say this tho i play a ton of warcraft 3, I mean a ton... its awesome. Games are generally playable on my 1ghz TI I bet there is hardly a noticable different on the footlong too. I was thinking of trying out everquest. anyone try it on mac yet?