backup software for OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what do you guys use for backing up your data? I am currently using Retrospect 5 as it seems to be the best of the bunch, but its user interface is a little bit clunky and it has this stupid limitation of only being able to backup 2 Gigs worth of data at a time. How stupid is that in this age of multi-gigabytes music collections...

Any suggestion for a workaround? Or alternatives to Retrospect (that you've actually used)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

what do you guys use for backing up your data? I am currently using Retrospect 5 as it seems to be the best of the bunch, but its user interface is a little bit clunky and it has this stupid limitation of only being able to backup 2 Gigs worth of data at a time. How stupid is that in this age of multi-gigabytes music collections...

Any suggestion for a workaround? Or alternatives to Retrospect (that you've actually used)?

I forgot to mention: backup your data, especially your Library folder! I just had Mail crap out on me and "forget" all my configured mail accounts on restart, for no other apparent reason than my having "only" ~300 MB of space left on the hard drive. Man that's a nice way of telling me "Get A Bigger Hard Drive, You Bum!!". Gee.. thanks Apple. Thank God, the mailbox files themselves had not been deleted, but I had to reconstruct my com.apple.mail.plist file pretty much by hand from my last backup. As an aside, I love the new XML-based plist format that Apple has adopted for configuration in OS X: pretty sweet. Well, ok: thanks Apple..
  • Reply 2 of 2
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Tri-Backup is a good program, imo

didn't like retrospect.