Free OSX MIDI/Audio app?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I am a Music teacher in Australia, and am trying to convince the school where I work to incoporate some OS X iMacs (or eMacs) into our Music curriculum and possibly the entire school network.

One of the obstacles I have to overcome (aside from trying to network with a Novell system - another topic entirely) is the cost of software and availability of secondary school level music applications. I was wondering whether there were any free MIDI/audio sequencing packages out there for OSX.

I recently discovered LOGICfun from emagic - which we know is now a division of Apple - but this was a Classic App. It sure would be great PR if Apple/emagic were to offer this program for OSX. (hint, hint)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    intuem.com

it aint free, but it is easy to learn and very very fun to use!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ProTools free is currently only for OS 9 and Windows, but is, I believe, expected soon for Mac OS X.

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

Maybe someone else can provide more detailed info.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    I would second a vote for Intuem; especially for use in school situations. The software, costing less than US$100, is easy enough to use that the children would have fun. Most sequencer software is so complicated, the learning curve would probably annoy children.

Great things are happening with music in OS X. The nightmare of attempting to connect a midi keyboard in Windows has been replaced with utter simplicity in OS X.

Now is the time to convince your school to get at least one Apple system for music creation purposes; for when they see what the one can do, convincing them to get more will be easy!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    *bump*