Raft of comic book hero films in the works

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From the Toronto Star: (My apologies if this is all old news to all of you)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1051643359293

"...Ashton Kutcher is rumoured to be playing Superman, Tom Cruise is apparently interested in Iron Man.

Here are some of the more solid prospects:

The Hulk: Directed by Ang Lee and starring Oscar winner Jennifer Connelly and Eric Bana, The Hulk is expected to test the limits of CGI animation, as it brings the green goliath to life. Opens June 20.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Based on the Allan Moore (Watchmen, Swamp Thing) series, LXG pits an impressive collection of manhood, including Allan Quartermain and Dorian Grey, against a madman bent on world domination. Opens July 11. Stars Sean Connery; directed by Blade director Stephen Norrington.

Spider-Man 2: Director Sam Raimi returns, as does much of the cast, including Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, who locks horns with Doctor Octopus in the follow-up to last year's reigning blockbuster champion. In production. Release date is summer 2004.

Fantastic Four: A venerable Marvel property that will get the big budget treatment this time, after 1994's B-grade schlock-fest. Director Peyton Reed (Down With Love, Bring It On), is on board. The film is yet to be cast. Tentative release in 2004.

Shrink: Jennifer Lopez plays a superhero who gives up the tights ? shame, that ? to counsel other superheroes with personal problems. Tentative release 2004.

Blade 3: Wesley Snipes reprises his role as the sword-wielding vampire half-breed hero. 2004 release.

At least two Batman movies are said to be in development, including Batman: Year One, based on the mini-series written by Frank Miller, and directed by Darren Aronofsky (Requiem For A Dream). No release date has been set. Another, Batman vs. Superman, is in development as well. Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) is the director.

A handful of others promising to see the screen next year, but with few details: Hellboy, Ghost Rider, King Conan: Crown of Iron, Iron Fist, Namor: The Sub-Mariner, The Phantom, and Man-Thing."

--I thought of the earlier thread that talked about the idea of making a movie based on the comic Batman: The Dark Knight Returns when I saw the reference to the Batman vs. Superman movie. I wonder what pscates would make of Christopher Nolan being the director.

Comments