Mac Newbie

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, just got my 1st mac the other day. ibook900.

Is there a way to quit the OS9(classic??) w/o doing a force quit??? When I leave it open does it use any of my RAM, how can I tell???

Also I noticed that when I put it to sleep by closing the book that it sometimes crashes(freezes), is this normal??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sledgehammersledgehammer Posts: 505member
    First question: go to System Preferences, click the "Classic" pane and click the "stop" button.

Don't know about your 2nd question, although I would say it almost definitely uses some RAM, but I don't know that you can check that. Third question: Classic crashes/freezes, or the Computer? And also, what exactly do you mean by crash? But to answer the question, no, this isn't normal, altough I have had a few instances where I will close my PB to put it to sleep and it will shut off instead. I'm not sur ewhat could be causing the problem though
  • Reply 2 of 14
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Thanx,

Maybe it is just shutting down, I'm just skittish with a new unfamiliar piece of equipment.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    skalmanskalman Posts: 42member
    Hi,

Process Viewer in the util folder and Top command in the terminal will show you how much ram Classic is using. If you just want to check induvidiul Classic apps then it's easier to check System prefs, Classic and the memory tab.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    classic may be causing the sleep/shutdown crash. it can be kind of funny that way.

since you're a new mac user, what are you using classic for? if it's for some thing specific, some of us here may be able to offer some alternatives.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Thank you guys...

Well the scanner I got uses a scan program that operates in OS 9. Is there a way to use it without it automatically booting up Classic? I don't know, Sorry I'm a neophite really when it comes to computers, I'll read tech boards all day long and find it fascinating but not really understand the processes b/c of my unfamiliarity with the tools of the computing world, I know just enough to get my work done. Now that i have a working computer related to my professional pursuits, I want to have enough understanding so that both I and my hardware can work as efficiently as possible.

The scanner I have is a Canon Lide 30, just something to scan some prints and drawings. I'll have to check the Canon site for updated software for it once I get online at home.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i believe that scanner has software for OSX, it just may not have come with it (i've got an older Canon scanner that works under OSX)

once you ditch Classic, things will get a lot better.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
  • Reply 8 of 14
    What do yo mean things get better??? Less RAM usage???
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Excellent!!! Thanx MCQ. Once I ge online at home I'll have to go back there. Right now my internet access is limited to Widow boxes at work and at the coffee shop.

I guess I could download those drivers at school and drop'em into my ipod, coudn't I.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Not sure how much scanning you do, but great shareware scanning software for any scanner under the sun is VueScan
  • Reply 11 of 14
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    just my contri..

If you are looking for software, particularly to replace classic apps with os x native ones, go to

http://www.versiontracker.com
  • Reply 12 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    And should you *still* need Classic, <shameless spam>Classic Spy</shameless spam> is your friend. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Sounds like you could really do with a good OSX book like 'Mac OSX - the missing manual' by David Pogue. It's absolutely brilliant. Just make sure you get the latest edition that covers Jaguar (OS 10.2).

Nice iBook by the way.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

What do yo mean things get better??? Less RAM usage???

classic is a dead operating system. its still shipped because there are a couple of programs that are really dragging their heels on updating for osx. one should only keep it on their computer if they have a specific need for it, and further more should only start it when a specific need arises. it does use ram and resources, but worse than that, it doesn't take advantage of macosx features, like protected memory (thats why if a crash occurs in classic, the whole environment goes). when i stopped using it, and stopped starting it up, i got a pretty noticeable speed increase.