Super 8 -> Mac -> DVD/VCD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Wondering if anyone know's how to get Super 8 transfered into a Mac so that I can make either a DVD or VCD from the footage. The easiest or most elegant soultion would be appreciated.

I wish it was digital but alas it is all old footage which is degrading and I would like to at least save as much of the 30+ tapes I have.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You'll probably want to make sure you point out that this is video tape and not super 8mm film

As for importing it, you'll need a capture device. For OS X, I believe your only real option starts at around $400 or so from Formac. The XCLaim VR cards from ATI will capture in OS 9 only.

Capture that way, they'll capture to QT movies, and you're set. Your other option is to have them professionally transferred for you, which will probably be more than $400.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    My Girlfriend uses the Hollywood Dazzle DV Bridge with no loss of quality. You plug anything with RCA style cables into one end, and your Mac into the other. I've tested it and it works with Adobe Premiere, and more importantly, iMovie.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pontonponton Posts: 43member
    If you're at all interested in getting a MiniDV camecorder, I believe that the Sony models allow pass-through, converting analog signals from a source (VCR or non-digital camcorder) to DV and then on to the Mac through the FW cable. This way, you not only get a conversion device, but also a new camcorder for not much more.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    alaskan66alaskan66 Posts: 47member
    Ditto with several Canon models which do a nice job of passthrough. Also, could you rent or borrow a DV camera with RCA inputs so that you could record onto DV and then have a backup?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Certainly my Sony does pass-through (both directions) and even allows me to use the TV for playback under Final Cut Pro.