64 bit GPUL in the Powerbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know I know, lets get IBM's new hotrod in the PowerMac first, but I just want to know how the characteristics of this chip compare to a G4. I know it is faster and smaller from all the articles online, but what about heat and battery usage. The article seems to imply it improves on these things as well, if so we may have one in the Powerbook sooner rather than later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Later. I'd assume it'd require 90 nanometer GPUL's to be feasible.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I really don't think that it will come to the powerbook for year, even if it does even come to the PowerMac. I'm sure it produces alot more heat than the current G4. I think right now apple should try to improve the memory to DDR and Geforce4 GO graphics before they upgrade the processor.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Keep in mind that the articles say GPUL is cooler than Power4, but Power4 is 156W.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Later. I'd assume it'd require 90 nanometer GPUL's to be feasible.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep,maybe even smaller, and then maybe only a single-core/somehow crippled version of it.

If ever!

Mot may suck in the desktop space, but their embedded CPUs are not bad at all. The GP-UL might never see a PB chassis (let alone an iBook!), but x (place here 7470 on .09µ, or a G3+VMX+betterFSB) might do the trick for Apple's laptop lineup.

ZoSo
  • Reply 5 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Of course, moto might have a nice cool embedded single core product for us, maybe?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    ATi makes better graphics chips for laptops. Period.

The PB won't be 64 bit for at least a year, I agree.