why no AGP X2 ??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Why dont comps come with 2 (or more) AGP slots??

i just got a new video card and would of love to use the old one too, but i have only 1 AGP slot...

can you even have more than 1 AGP slot or would it use up too much power??

thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    I belive that only one AGP slot is impossible for some technical reason.

Solution: Get a PCI video card.

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It is unfortunate that there's only one AGP slot, but that is the way the spec works; there's no getting around it. However, the computer industry is developing new, vastly superior connection bus technologies for the near future, so this is really a short term concern.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Ahem. The AGP spec allows for 2 AGP slots (although that might be accomplished through dual buses - x2 the cost)

No-one has chosen to implement this. Making graphics cards which support 2-4 monitors is cheaper

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 9
    At 133MBps for a 1x PCI bus you're not really going to have enough bandwidth to utilize two 8x AGP slots.

We'll need PCIExpress first.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yeah, but when will we see 8x AGP in Mac's. I say aleast another year.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

<strong>Yeah, but when will we see 8x AGP in Mac's. I say aleast another year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thats sad too. cause im sure apple will start allowing the 9700 pro as an option either in the next couple months or at the latest in january. and its 8x compatible.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Yes, sad that Apple won't be using an unnessecary, expensive technology. Damn Apple will probably spending it on stuff which you or I will never use, like faster CPUs or 800Mbs FireWire!

Barto