International iTMS Prices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How do people think Apple is going to handle international per song/album prices? The 99 cent sweet spot in the US translates to about $1.40 CDN per track. In my opinion, $1.40 CDN is out of range of impulse buy per track. Besides, a $15 CD in the US will cost about the same in Canadian currency, not $20-25 CDN. Will the UK get 60p per song or will it be a pound a song? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have a feeling Apple will overcharge their international customers, because they historically have always done that. So in England, you'll probably have to pay a pound a song... and in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised at $1.49CDN per song.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I have a feeling Apple will overcharge their international customers, because they historically have always done that.

Please!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

So in England, you'll probably have to pay a pound a song... and in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised at $1.49CDN per song.

Take a look at Apple's UK and US prices, and you'll see that $0.99 will be £0.85 INCL. VAT.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I'm posting in this thread since it seems as the most "international" thread about the iTMS.

From MacRumors

Quote:

International iTunes... Soon?

One source indicates that the Canadian launch of the iTunes Music Store is expected on the order of weeks -- with licensing dicussions nearing compleition.

European users also have some encouraging knows with this MacWorld UK article which references a Music Week article discussing iTunes and the European market. In the article, Pascal Cagni, vice-president of Apple Europe, reveals that launching the iTunes music store in Europe is his top priority:

"As head of Europe, I have only one interest, which is to launch [iTunes Music Store] in Europe"

Unfortunately, it appears licensing discussions did not begin until after the US launch, and the service may be launched in a piecemeal fashion -- with more Internet-popular areas getting first access.

As an encouraging sign, however, head of EMI is quoted as saying "I can't see anything that would stop us making music available for Apple's service in Europe".

Reader, jhaeusler, provides more confirmation that the wheels are turning with an article in Musikwoche (German) which indicates that many German independant labels are interested and there is a new coordinator in Apple Europe handling calls for European labels interested in the service.

• Reply 4 of 5
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Please!!

Take a look at Apple's UK and US prices, and you'll see that $0.99 will be £0.85 INCL. VAT.

Nope, I'd say it'll be a pound per song. Why? Because everything here (at least in London) costs the same in pounds as it would in dollars. Sheesh, this city is expensive, and I'm broke because of it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If Apple chargers $1.49 CDN per song it will be the same as a CD costs for all songs. A CD costs about 14-18 dollars despends where you go. Apple needs to have the $.99 cent mark in Canada if they want people to use it. If it is higher, then Apple will miss the boat yet again.