Diskwarrior 3 is finally here!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Goodie, goodie. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the app. Must be a good'un. A lifesaver. I'm looking forward to reading some of your first experiences, as soon as you can out them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Nobody has anything to say about this? I hope God doesn't punish your jadedness with many severe crashes! [albeit that the mention of 'God' is completely gratuitous, as I am a true atheist].

• Reply 2 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Still using DiskWarrior 2--no need to upgrade yet, until my Macs can't boot 9.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    w00t! Go utilities software!!!1!!1!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I'll be ordering a couple copies of it tomorrow. Disk Warrior is the best.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I pre-ordered it via the Apple Store. Now if they would just ship the damm thing....
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nihat_ynihat_y Posts: 8member
    About time too. I have placed my order with the Apple Centre in Melbourne (Australia) they said it should hit here in OZ pretty soon a few weeks. (it costs $130 AUS) here, I think. theyll let me know when it arrives here. and I can pick it up then.

Norton utilities 8, should also be out of beta soon, and ill upgrade that soon as it does. I have the beta of Norton Utilities 8 and Ive seen no problems at all. looks good, very nice, and runs faster than version 7. speed disk has new profiles for iPod (yes! you can optimize your iPod's disk!), OS X Developer etc, the OS X profile has been improved major.

All I need is DiskWarrior 3 Now, when I recieve it, Ill post here how it goes. Speedwise, new features...etc...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    what, you want a diskwarrior cheerleading squad???

anyone who's worked with it KNOWS it's one of those utilities that pays for itself the first time it re-blesses your system folder, or boots your mac when nothing else will.

i also have drive 10, but i'm just not that confident it does much good. it cretainly LOOKS pretty while it's working. i especially like it when it says "completing 829,456 tasks out of 1,277,012," yet never tells you what the hell it's actually doing.

norton has not saved a disk of mine since version 3. period. if norton 8 doesn't patch the kernel with stupid .kext's, i'll look into it. but no sooner...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    To be honest, I'm a little nervous they won't be able to pull off the feat they produced with DiskWarrior 2. DiskWarrior 2 was unbeatable in my books and I just hope that they have managed to produce something of similar quality. My disappointment with Norton and Micromat on their switch to X leave me feeling a touch anxious.

But, yes, I am excited about the release!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    would it be necessary to have both drive 10 and diskwarrior?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It's a good idea to keep few of the main Disk utilities around (Nortons, DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, Drive 10) all 4 of them if money permits. it's all a matter of what is wrong with your drive at time. I'd always run DiskWarrior FIRST before anything else, because as you know it cant be beaten to repair/clean up directories, and if the directories are buggered up and you run nortons or something, it can make the problem even worse, cause they just 'patch' the Directory, whereas DiskWarrior replaces the entire thing, comparing the old with the new. creating an optimized one.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    after techtool 4 comes out, wouldn't the need for drive 10 be next to zero?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

after techtool 4 comes out, wouldn't the need for drive 10 be next to zero?

I don't think that they (Micromat) would release a carbonized TechTool Pro 4 now. (but I could be wrong.. I hope) Because they seem to be going with Cocoa in the form of Drive 10. it would seem stupid of them (Micromat) to go and release TTP 4 after releasing Drive 10... two products that do the same/similar things.. thats silly. Drive 10 does need to be beefed up a lot if it is to replace TTP. But as I said I hope I am wrong. maybe it dosen't make sense for them to carbonize it because it has a lot of low level stuff in it that I don't think even can be done in Carbon OS X. thats why they did Drive 10. It looks really great but it is pretty sparce in functionality compared to TechTool Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    drive 10 is going to be bundled with TT Pro, IIRC. also, if you buy drive 10 now, you get a free version of TT Pro 4 when it's released.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Drive 10 was intended as a "fill-the-gap" program while Micromat was developing TechTool Pro 4. I believe that, once TTP 4 has shipped, Drive 10 will vanish into history.

As for the cocoa vs. carbon thing...a quick visit to Micromat's website reveals that TTP 4 is written entirely in cocoa (allowing it to take full advantage of OS X's multi-tasking features).
  • Reply 15 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hear the DiskWarrior 3 can't boot 12" PowerBooks. Is this true, anyone with a 12" PB tried it? IMO all you need are Data Rescue and Diskwarrior, TechTool Pro fooling around only caused me trouble in the past.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Will "BootCD" with DW3 on it work on 2k3 12" PBs? It looks like we're all in college on finals week by the slowdown here!