CHALLENGE: Sell Me A Car !!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone reading my car flooding thread will know that I'm more in the market for a car than I was a week ago. I -think- that I'm irrevocably set on the Honda Accord 2-door Coupe, but I'm looking at other cars one last time. I'm challenging you guys to "sell" me on the perfect car for a single 30-something male who's looking at sensible, sporty sedans to replace his 10 year old fuel-efficient hatchback.

Someone asked me if I'd considered a GM or Ford vehicle due to the low interest rates they're currently offering. I saw a Cadillac CTS today and thought that it looked kind of cool in a Stealth Fighter kind of way. Even a low-end CTS is about US$32,000 but the interest rate (if you qualify) can be as low as 1.9% for up to a 60 month loan.

I've got to pull up the reliability records for Cadillac, all the electronics kind of sccare me on those things......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I've got a 2001 Accord Coupe. Also a previous Honda owner.

I may never buy anything else besides a Honda. It's the best car I've ever owned. Why mess with what works?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'm a huge fan of Volkswagen, and not only do I find their cars to be well put together and nice to drive, my experience with their service has been nothing short of impressive.

I drive an older Cabriolet, and love it. It's the car that simply won't die. It's cheap to fix, cheap to drive, but more importantly... *fun* to drive.

A good friend just leased a new Jetta, and it's *sweet*. The V6 is fast, and the interior is a joy to sit in, especially with the leather seats. After driving a very reliable Toyota Corolla, he's thrilled he upgraded to the Jetta. The Passat is also very nice. Another friend of mine just upgraded from his Jetta to that.

If you're more into raw speed, the GTI is fast and also very practical. In addition, their new midsize SUV, the Tuareg, has received raves from all the major auto magazines, but I know you're looking for a sedan. Still, I thought I'd mention it.

Volkswagen has come a long way from their bargain-basement origins. They're one of the best all-around car manufacturers out there now.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Sensible but sporty -- not sure what your budget is, but if I were in your position I'd take a good, hard look at a Subaru WRX ... Acura TSX ... Audi A4 3.0 ... BMW 330i ... Jetta VR6 or GLI ... Mini Cooper ... OK maybe the Mini isn't all that sensible but I had to throw it in there.

Do they make two-door Accords with the V6? That would be sweet. The '03s are supposed to be very nice.

Volkswagens are great cars to drive (girlfriend has an '01 Jetta), but I'm afraid Gandalf is in the minority on his luck with the maintenance. Statistics show VW spend more time in the shop than Hondas, and parts can be expensive. We just spent $200 on the Jetta (including labor) to replace a bad O2 sensor, and this is at just 15,000 miles. New ones have a longer four-year warranty though.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Sensible but sporty -- not sure what your budget is, but if I were in your position I'd take a good, hard look at a Subaru WRX ... Acura TSX ... Audi A4 3.0 ... BMW 330i ... Jetta VR6 or GLI ... Mini Cooper ... OK maybe the Mini isn't all that sensible but I had to throw it in there.

Do they make two-door Accords with the V6? That would be sweet. The '03s are supposed to be very nice.

Volkswagens are great cars to drive (girlfriend has an '01 Jetta), but I'm afraid Gandalf is in the minority on his luck with the maintenance. Statistics show VW spend more time in the shop than Hondas, and parts can be expensive. We just spent $200 on the Jetta (including labor) to replace a bad O2 sensor, and this is at just 15,000 miles. New ones have a longer four-year warranty though.

The TSX is a nice car. My friend pick one up last week. I hear it is the new European Accord rebranded in North America as an Acura. Not sure what the differences between it and the American Accord, but it might be worthwhile comparing the two.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I too have been looking for a car. Torn between a used (1999-2001) Jetta VR6 and some reliable Japanese econobox like a Corolla.

It's true regarding VW. It's kind of hit and miss. From what I've read, there are horror stories with coil problems and creaking noises abound. On the other hand, a close friend has a 2001 1.8T Jetta with absolutely no problems.

I had an 1999 A4 2.8 which was great for winter driving (quattro). It just kind of sucked in fuel efficiency (again quattro). Build quality was good but still had some irritating noises. It was probably still below BMW standards.

However, the new 2003 is supposedly better in all regards with a more rigid body.

Both VW and Audi now offer 4 year warranty so it's not a bad deal if you have that kind of money to drop.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    drewprops you need to get one of the cars with an iPod holder.

I like the Element personally (yah, I'm a sucker too).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    might want to check out the Mazda Protege.

this sucker would be a ton of fun.

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/2003-ma...d-protege.html
  • Reply 8 of 12
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Yep. The ''03 V6 gets 250 hp, my '01 with V6 has 200 hp and has been sporty enough for all my 30-something A-type driving needs.

Quote:

Volkswagens are great cars to drive (girlfriend has an '01 Jetta), but I'm afraid Gandalf is in the minority on his luck with the maintenance. Statistics show VW spend more time in the shop than Hondas, and parts can be expensive. We just spent $200 on the Jetta (including labor) to replace a bad O2 sensor, and this is at just 15,000 miles. New ones have a longer four-year warranty though. [/B]

Completely agreed on the VW maintenance.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    it all sorta depends on where you live and what's being promoted in your area, how long you plan to keep the vehicle, and what service is like if you plan to keep it for a long time.

I wouldn't buy japanese for anything I planned on driving for ten years, except subaru. service and parts just cost too much. GM is offering 0% for 60 months in my area on models from ALL their brands, including Saab. Had me seriously thinking about a new car, but I really don't need it for another 2-4 years, so at this point I'm hapier to take that monthly payment and put it in the bank.

My family has had uncommonly great luck with buicks! The 3800 just keeps on going and gets great highway mileage. I think there are a few nice reliable cheap and anonymous cars in GM's lineup. Olds' Intrigue, the LeSabre. Big comfortable, cheap to run.

Of course their resale value is horrendous, but they make great used car buys. mebbe useless commentary for you then!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

drewprops you need to get one of the cars with an iPod holder.

I like the Element personally (yah, I'm a sucker too).

A friend of mine test-drove an Element the other day. She crossed it off her list because of the bone-rattling ride (Consumer Reports made a similar finding in their June issue, although they liked the car generally and recommended it).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    SIpmle if you want a COUPE get a nissan 350Z! Hondaaccord coupe with a v6 and 6 speed is a good second choice. also see acura cl type s (recently discontinued= tremendous deal)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    My mom has a CTS. Seems to work fine. As far as I'm concerned, GMs are more reliable than hondas, as of the past 8-10 years. On hondas, the little things start to go out on you.

However, buying a Ford is a dumb move. I've never heard of a content Ford owner who owns something other than a truck or a mustang.

I can't bash the Honda, though, on any grounds other than the fact that Honda makes boring cars. They try to spice up their image with high HP ratings, but their measuring off the crank, and their high-compression engines only make power at extreme rpms, at the cost of low end torque and terrible mileage (at high rpm). Torque is really what matters. GM has the right idea with torquey, low compression pushrods. good mileage, low redline, high torque.

Even the Mazda6 (check out the V6 version) has more to it spiritually than the Accord or RSX. I think it's rear wheel drive, which probably contributes to the better handling. (Partly due to the fact that Mazda makes the best race cars that come from Japan, though Nissan is trying hard to take the title.) Partial? yes. But read the stats. When it comes to building racecar chassis, Mazda and Nissan are the heavy competitors from Japan, and Toyota is third place. Even if you don't want a race car, it means that the steering will be crisper on their production cars, if you're into that sort of thing.

I would not recommend the WRX. The turbo will kill your gas mileage and won't give you any more power unless you drive it hard.

Otherwise, on the American front, I don't know if there's anything that will appeal to you other than the CTS. The feel of most American cars is a very loose feel. The Accord is a bit tighter. The CTS is pretty tight too, but it's more on the luxury end so the shocks are really soft. (Though keep in mind that I drive on Bilsteins. . . If you don't get a vibra-massage on the highway, it's too soft )

Keep your eyes open, but don't be another boring Honda owner.