Apple store refurbished is loaded

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been watching the contents of the "special deals" section at the Applestore for some time now and I noticed today that their entire line, save for the new e-Mac's" is available as refurbed. This is the first time I've noticed every single computer type listed.

Anyone think this is the inventory clearance preceding a new hardware announcement?

Just wondering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Any idea of the quantites of machines? Also, resellers inventories have to run down as well (as they would get annoyed and broke if a new product release landed them with a few hundred thousand of obsolete stock).

Probably just an irregular refurbs day.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Any idea of the quantites of machines? Also, resellers inventories have to run down as well (as they would get annoyed and broke if a new product release landed them with a few hundred thousand of obsolete stock).

Probably just an irregular refurbs day.

the online store doesn't list quanties, and I haven't been by the retailers yet (I'll probably trek out to drool this weekend).
  • Reply 3 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What are the savings like?

I think this might indicate a lot of product refreshes and a major overhaul or two (hello pMacs!) in the coming months. In a way, the low end iMac doesn't make a whole lot of sense next to the eMacs, and the iMac itself could use a refresh. And I'm sure there are plenty of stale Towers waiting for a home.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Well, note that ALL models of the new eMac get Airport Extreme, but only the 17" iMac get's it. Seems pretty clear the original 15" is on it's way out.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Agreed. There's not a lot of point to the iMacs at the moment and a bump to 1.4 must be on the cards...which means only one thing for PMacs!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Here's the list

Refurbished eMacs:

eMac 700MHz/128MB/40GB/Combo/56K - Refurbished $749.00

eMac 800MHz/256MB/60GB/SuperDrive/56K - Refurbished $999.00

Refurbished Power Macs:

Power Mac G4 1GHz DUAL/256MB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K - Refurbished $1,699.00

Power Mac G4 1.25GHz DUAL/512MB/120GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K - Refurbished $2,199.00

Power Mac G4 1.42 GHz DUAL/512MB/120GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K - Refurbished $2399.00

Refurbished PowerBooks

PowerBook G4 667MHz/256MB/30GB/Combo/E/56K/15" - Refurbished $1,599.00

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40G/Combo/GigE/56K/15" - Refurbished $1,999.00

PowerBook G4 1GHz/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K/AirPort Card/15" - Refurbished $2499.00

Refurbished iMac G4 17" Flat Panel TFT :

iMac G4 800MHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K-17" - Refurbished $1399.00

iMac G4 1GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/56K/17" - Refurbished $1599.00

Refurbished iMac G3 15" CRT:

iMac G3 600MHz/128MB/40GB/CD-ROM/RageUltra/56K Snow - Refurbished $649.00
  • Reply 7 of 18
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    The store fluctuates between almost empty to overstuffed, like it is now, every month or six weeks. I've been monitoring it (it changes every Wednesday, although items are removed when they are sold out) because I'm watching for a refurb 22-inch Cinema Display. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that indicates much of anything.

At the moment it's probably full of floor models from that Mac reseller that just closed and slapped a lawsuit on Apple. Can't remember their name. Elite?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No need to get excited, but I think these are not refurbs. I think an executive descision was made to sell off, and a way to do that without it being so damn obvious about it would be to sell them as refurbs.

• Reply 9 of 18
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I thought the refurbished line was those machines that went tits up and were replaced and apple has since replaced the part (cleaned out the coffee etc) and sold it.

Nothing much to do with new stuff being released.

Dobby.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

I thought the refurbished line was those machines that went tits up and were replaced and apple has since replaced the part (cleaned out the coffee etc) and sold it.

Nothing much to do with new stuff being released.

Dobby.

That's what I mean by an executive decision. They are not actually refurbished at all. They are new, but sold as refurbished to throw off the fact they think they have too many in the pipeline to sell before they release new ones, and want to get rid of them quietly.

If they did a sudden Price Drop at the Apple store across the board they may have trouble selling new machines because Mac users know what to look for when new stuff is coming.

It's only speculation anyway. I'm not saying it's fact it just looks suspicious.\
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    This doesn't seem to represent to whole product line, and there's a fair amount in there that's obsolete too (PowerBooks and dual 1Ghz towers).
  • Reply 12 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's what I mean by an executive decision. They are not actually refurbished at all. They are new, but sold as refurbished to throw off the fact they think they have too many in the pipeline to sell before they release new ones, and want to get rid of them quietly.

If they did a sudden Price Drop at the Apple store across the board they may have trouble selling new machines because Mac users know what to look for when new stuff is coming.

It's only speculation anyway. I'm not saying it's fact it just looks suspicious.\

That was my first thought. Sure there's a lot of refurb stuff, but over the last few years it has seemed that this stuff materializes just about when a slew of new stuff is ready to go. Could even be customers with problems getting new machines and these going back to the store. A way for it to look good on Apple. They have excess stock and some unhappy customers, so they kill two birds, fix the problems and put them for sale in te refurb section. If refurb stock is growing, I think it does point to an expected new product/major refresh or two down the line.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    eotkueotku Posts: 37member
    This definitely is not the "Complete line" Missing are the single 1Ghz and Dual 1.25Ghz OSX only machines. The Dual 1.25Ghz model shown is the OS9 bootable model.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eotku

This definitely is not the "Complete line" Missing are the single 1Ghz and Dual 1.25Ghz OSX only machines. The Dual 1.25Ghz model shown is the OS9 bootable model.

Which one was 'better'? I think with the dual 1GHZ, the older was preferable. Is that true with the 1.25GHZ as well?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    eotkueotku Posts: 37member
    Which one was 'better'? I think with the dual 1GHZ, the older was preferable. Is that true with the 1.25GHZ as well?

The 1.25Ghz that is up their now is not the old dual 1.25Ghz. It is the one Apple is currently selling as an OS9 bootable version it has a larger HD (120Mb) and a 2mb level 3 cache compared to the OSX only machinke which has a 80mb HD and a 1mb level 3 cache.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Also the 12" and 17 " PB is missing.

Looks like a massive 970 update, if were dreaming that is..
  • Reply 17 of 18
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    AppleStore Finland:

PM 1GHz and DP1.25GHz shipping in 3-5 weeks.

PM DP1.42MHz shipping in same day.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

i find the dual 1 ghz to be one of the most flexible towers around right now. load it with ram (and it's sdram is CHEAP), and it hums along quite nicely. boots into os 9 and installs it without any problem (though i really want to get away from 9, but sometimes, especially with older installerVISE installers, it's quite necessary).

plus, it'll probably be very upgradeable for the foreseeable future.