fsck

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    type "man fsck" in terminal... oh and theres a really good website for finding info like this. I think its called Google. :P
  • Reply 2 of 14
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

type "man fsck" in terminal... oh and theres a really good website for finding info like this. I think its called Google. :P

A wise guy aaayy?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    At the risk of actually being helpful...

fsck is the command for File System Check. When you run Repair Disk within Disk Utilities on your install CD, this is the process that gets run.

Also, if you ever have a kernel panic (grey screen and multilingual mismash) and have to restart, you can hold down command-s to boot into "single user" mode (you get a black, UNIXy looking command line screen). You then type "fsck -y" at the prompt and the disk gets repaired. If it says it modified the disk, repeat again until you get the disk OK message.

And no I'm not a UNIX cowboy, I just pay attention when Brad delivers his wisdom from upon high .
  • Reply 4 of 14
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Thanks for the help. What does the " -y" in "fsck -y" do?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I THINK it means to do it on your boot disk, but I am not positive.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=22781

(not grumbling at you, but that FAQ should have been stickified a while ago... maybe in the lul before WWDC?... please?)
  • Reply 7 of 14

Thanks for the info, Paul.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

The "-y" makes you read the man page to find out what it does.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

the -y confirms any repairs to be done without prompting. Sometimes there are hundreds of blocks to be fixed.

Dobby.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Please read the fscking man pages and stop asking silly questions.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    OK y'all, I'm sorry. But I'm not a UNIX geek. I use Macs, I don't know shit about unix.

IF I knew what the man pages were, I would have read them. But I didn't know, and therefore did not read. I did look up fsck on Google. And I didn't understand it, and to be honest, I didn't really understand most of what the man pages said either. I came here because it is the ****ing GENIUS BAR. That's where you go for help. In the past that's what I have found here.

If people's silly questions are such an inconvenience, why don't all of you stay in AO, where smart assed answers are expected, and leave the Genius Bar to people who would really like to help.

My two cents.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Yes to everything.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Well, the very first reply to this thread told you to type something in Terminal. I'm not sure how that could be a whole lot clearer.

In any case, don't get angry about it folks, lest the wrath of the TurboModerator be unleashed in full force.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Well, the very first reply to this thread told you to type something in Terminal. I'm not sure how that could be a whole lot clearer.

In any case, don't get angry about it folks, lest the wrath of the TurboModerator be unleashed in full force.

I'm not angry, it just disappoints me that it can be so difficult to get help sometimes.

The first post did say to type something in the terminal, but like I said, I know nothing about unix, and without some explaination, I am not going to willy-nilly start issuing commands. Had there been an explaination as to what "man fsck" meant or did, that would have been a different story.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, the issue is solved, and smart asses will be smart asses regardless of what I think, so M3D Jack, you can lock this now if you please.