UT 2003 demo

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Now I can see why Apple released 10.2.6 - it includes new GPU drivers! From the 3D sound mix, to the rainbow reflection of blaster fire on heavy armour, it's not farfetched (or too biased on my part) to suggest that this incarnation of 'Unreal' eclipses the XBOX version, which is riddled with bug blemishes and was all too quickly consigned to the closet!

This game really is a showcase for the OS X graphics engine, and NVIDIA has managed to slip-in marketing too! WOW!

Back to the blasting in a moment, but first I'm ordering the game! ; )

Drop by and say hello:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Sweet! Playing now...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I can't open my dmg with stuff-it

any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    Open dmg files with Disk Copy

/Applications/Utilitiies
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Open dmg files with Disk Copy

/Applications/Utilitiies

Nope, not working either.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    It blows out my control prefs everytime I load the app. I have to reset them from scratch everytime I start UT2K3
  • Reply 6 of 13
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Is it just me or is really UT2k3 a revised Quake 3 but with far higher hardware requirements? The toylike bots, the grunting sound and the blood cloud make this more of a Quake 3.5 than a progression from UT
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah I hate it too. It's more like Quake 3 than UT was, but it manages to be similar enough to UT to not be worth an upgrade (especially since my graphics hardware isn't up to snuff). The weapons are basically the same as in UT, except the sniper rifle is much worse. The "voice taunts" are the exact same words as in UT except with different voices. The whole thing is cartoony and kinda dumb looking if you ask me. The maps are good though.

On my iBook (800/Combo) it's just barely playable if I have minimum settings. For what it's worth, it's just slightly worse than my 233 MHz Wallstreet PowerBook running the original UT (also at minimum settings, which went lower). The Wallstreet had to be set to 640x480dbl resolution, making everything really grainy, but at least it was smooth and fast. With the iBook, the lowest I can go merely allows me to play, but it's still a bit choppy when there's a lot going on.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The good thing is that the engine can make for some good games in the future but UT2k3 is not one of them.

Sure it is cool with the light reflected of the water onto the walls but good graphics does not make a great game. I found Sin Gold to be a more fun game than some simliar games with far better graphics. The play of the game is far more important than all those nifty pixels stuff that program coders freak out about.

In good FPS there is several ways to finish a level,running straight on and having it very difficult or being smart about it. (Marathon, Oni). Bad games make "difficult" by adding an almost indestructible boss or pilling up almost an endless number of enemies that have to be killed (Rune). A good game also has several nasty surprises (Unreal, Oni)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I don't get it . . . my hardware is pretty old -dual 500 . . . but I really can't play this AT ALL!!!!!

it sucks extreme!!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Thats odd I turn all the settings all the way up and still get around 20 FPS, I have a radeon 8500 though, What video card do you have?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Is it just me or is really UT2k3 a revised Quake 3 but with far higher hardware requirements? The toylike bots, the grunting sound and the blood cloud make this more of a Quake 3.5 than a progression from UT

Y'know. I kinda thought that. In fact. I fully agree with that. It doesn't really seem like a progression from Unreal Tourney at all.

I think UT2003 is suffering from Quake penis envy. All that grunting. The unreal tourney physics engine does seem to have the 'feel' of the original. Opting for a more 'ridiculous' movement Id' engine...where the feet skid along the floor and where characters bounce around and do things at 99 miles per hour. I like the more moderate speed of the original Unreal Tourney. I don't the guns work as well. No head-chopper. Where the hell is Capture the Fortress? The single best bit from Unreal Tourney I???!!?!?!?

Player viewpoint seems shorter... The levels aren't designed as well. Characters seem more Quake inspired. And that grunting and getting on. Yeesh. Where in the Id' did they get that from?

I think I'd rather have an 'X' version of Unreal Tourney I. In fact, I'd rather play Marathon Infinity on my 970 when Apple sells one.

Still, I've got the PC version and I keep getting my old lame-ass kicked by 14 year-olds on the 'net. I'm okay. But I'm not 'god' at it. They must have faster set ups than mine. Still, Athlon 1.6 xp with Ati Radeon 8500 can run it at 1600/1200 okay. 1200x1020 is fine.

Sniff. I payed £25 bucks for a modded Quake 3 game. Heh.

Shame they didn't expand an already okay Unreal Tournament in what it should have been. The underwhelming response by the reviewers should have told 'Epic'(?) something.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The Grunting . . .

true true true . . .

its as if it isn't juvenile and over-masculine enough to be running around and shooting everything that moves you now have to grunt like a pig farmer on Friday night
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Hey, at least the good news is that Epic (confirmed over on Macweek.com...) are going to do Unreal Tourney I on 'X'. This time, properly!!!

Now that's more like it!!!

When I get my 970 Mac...I'll buy UT I instead of that 'Grunt 2003' bolacks.

Lemon Bon Bon