Computer to computer network using Airport cards

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a 14-inch Ibook and a 450-Cube, both equipped with airport cards, and both running OS X 10.2.5.

I've set up what I think is the correct local network and file sharing is on, but I can't seem to get to the point where I can retrieve files from my Cube onto my IBook.

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm doing wrong, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I'd like someone to provide me a step-by-step narrative, beginning with setting up the computer-to-computer network and file sharing all the way through what I have to do to see and use files from one computer on the other one.

I've been to Apple's help section, and it, frankly, hasn't been helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    OK, i'm no expert at this but since you don't seem to be getting a reply - here goes.

1. Make sure airport cards are both on.

2. Make sure file sharing is turned on in system prefs.

3. On the cube, go up to the airport icon and create netword then click OK. (Don't bother with passwords etc. )

4. you're now finished with the cube.

5. On the iBook go up to airport icon and make sure that you can "see" the cube's network. It should automatically have a tick beside it as it should have spotted the network already. If not, select it.

6. Now go to the "Go" menu at the top of the screen and select "Connect to Server ".

7. A dialogue box should appear and the cube's name should appear ( it may take a minute ).

8. Click connect

9. New dialogue box will appear. Into this type the name of your main user for the cube and your password. ie. if computer shows up in previous dialogue box as "Joe Smith's computer" chances are you will be typing in " Joe Smith" here plus the password you have to type in when upgrading software. Remember you are wanting access to your cube so you want to connect to it as the cube's main user ( mistake I used to make here was to type in my iBook's main user and p/word. )

10. Next dialogue box should offer you the chance to see either just your user's files on the cube or the whole hard disc. ( I normally take the whole hard disc - don't know why. )

11. after a few seconds your cube's hard disc icon should appear on the desktop of you iBook.

12. This can be opened in the normal way and files dragged onto the desktop of your iBook.

I hope this works. It's not as easy as I thought trying to do this from memory. If anyone spots any mistakes please feel free to correct my ramblings. Once you have done this once it is really easy - my young daughter comes home from school and the first thing she does is sets up a network and disappears into her room with the iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks, Jimdad. Your step-by-step worked like a champ.

Now, sadly, I'm stumped on trying to connect to AOL from the Ibook through the Cube using this computer-to-computer net.

I've put an alias for AOL in the public folder and I can start up the software on the Ibook, but when ask AOL to dial up, the Ibook uses its own modem (and, it's not connected to a phone line, of course) rather than the modem on the cube (which is hooked up to the telephone system.

If someone can help me work through this issue with a step-by-step explanation, I'll not only be very grateful Ñ I'll be a truly, portably, wirelessly modern guy.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    I'm on even shakier ground here as I have Broadband but i'll have a go.

1. on the cube make sure airport is on.

2. Go to system prefs, click internet tab/ click Start to turn Internet sharing on and make sure to check the box "share your interent connection with airport equipped computers.

3. On the desktop your airport icon should now show an arrow.

4. connect to AOL (still on the cube )

5. You are now finished with the Cube.

6. On the iBook make sure that airport is on.

7. Make sure that it recognises the cubes network.

8. At this stage I would just double click safari and that's it. It shouldn't have to dial anything up on the iBook as its using the Cube's connection. However, i'm not sure if this will work with AOL. You can try double clicking the AOL icon but it may still try to dial up itself.

Hope this is of some help - if you get it working its great.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks, Jimdad. I'll give it a try. If it works, you're a hero.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That solution didn't seem to work. Safari kept crashing on the Ibook.

Thanks for the help anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I don't think Internet Sharing works with that proprietary bastard stepchild known as A-Oh-HELL (no offense Jim!)