Mac OS 10.2.6, Missing Thread Record, FireWire Drive won't mount

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I upgraded from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6 (like a good little Mac user), and now my external firewire drive won't mount. And I'm receiving error messages involving "missing thread count" and "invalid volume file count."

Naturally fsck and Disk Utility don't fix the problems. I'm thinking about investing in DiskWarrior, except they are currently experiencing problems.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts on how I can retrieve my damage from the firewire drive...any thoughts on how I can repair the damage to the hard drive without reinstalling (the firewire has all my back-up information, since its not working, I can't back up my files to reinitialize).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    Which mac and firewire device? Did you buy a case and put a hard drive in it or was it a firewire harddrive that you purchased?

Have you tried booting into OS9 (if you can) and mounting it that way?

For some reason I have had 2 firewire hard drives (ones where I bought the case and put the HD in myself) go bad. They wouldn't mount or anything. Sending them back to get repaired.

As far as getting stuff off of there...I don't really know. I hope someone here can help you out.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tschicktschick Posts: 2member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by OSXaddict

Its a Mac G3, and a Western Digital FireWire drive. I spoke to a senior tech at Western Digital and they told me my drive was damaged and to return it. But for some reason, I just don't buy that. It was working one minute, and then stopped when I upgraded to 10.2.6. Could be a coincidence, but...

Yes, I did try booting into OS9...no luck there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tschick

Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

Its a Mac G3, and a Western Digital FireWire drive. I spoke to a senior tech at Western Digital and they told me my drive was damaged and to return it. But for some reason, I just don't buy that. It was working one minute, and then stopped when I upgraded to 10.2.6. Could be a coincidence, but...

Yes, I did try booting into OS9...no luck there.

TSchick:

I am no expert but I also have a G3 (B/W) with three external Firewire drives. While I never had any problems with the FW hd's, the CDR wouldn't mount in X. After much reading and discussion, the general theory is that the software (or firmware) was not there in X to deal with the onboard FW ports. I bought a PCI FW/ USB 2 card ($25 on ebay), plugged it in...PRESTO! Everything works great, either daisy chained or using the ports.

My issue now is that the drives plugged into the PCI card don't mount automatically upon boot. They must be powered down and back up to mount. A minor problem. BTW, the drives are a VST, a Que! CDR, and a no name FW enclosure with a 60 gb Western Digital drive inside. Hope that helps.

cog