Ti Book Paint problems... what is "normal wear and tear"?! ***Pics***

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
bear with me for a sec as I add my images and caption them

The major paint damage on the corner of the hinge and under the ports was there when I got it...this has gotten progressively worse...

The lost foot happened when I had the computer tho.

more pics of the damage below the port cover...

this is peeling and chipping paint damage... isn't this a known issue? the genius I spoke to about it called it normal wear and tear...

another (crappy) pic of the paint damage on the hinge... Also notice the spacing on the hinge w/regard to the screen... it looks off... the genius saw that the screen was unstable and this part will be fixed under warranty...

the other hinge... this paint damage also was present when I bought it... once again notice the hinge and the screen...

small chip by the headphone... undoubtedly my fault... but should it really chip?

the case damage on the right is my fault... don't ask me how it happened because I don't know... same with the lost 'foot'.

also there is another chip above the PC card ejector, which is also damaged cosmetically... (also don't know)

a closer look at the chipping and peeling... also note the disintegration of the nub to protect the screen... it has sunken BELOW the paint level...

more peeling by the CD drive...

bent case again and compare the nub here... it has been worn down, but is flush... what is going on?

I bought the Ti on 8/23/02 (jaguar day). It was a 'refreshed machine' and had some chips on it... I did not notice the really bad one on the back hinge for a few days and the paint chipping on the bottom a few days after that...

the problem was that I bought the computer a week before I was to leave for BC... and I was on vacation that week in NJ... so it would have been a real pain to chew them out over cosmetic problems that they probably wouldn't fix anyway... besides, I wanted to play with my new computer...

fast forward 8+ months...

I have really used this computer to its limit... I'll admit i didn't baby it, but I certainly didn't abuse it. I bought a case for it- granted it wasn't made for a computer-but it seems to work pretty well... the only problem with it is that there is a zipper on the inside that can scratch the casing... I have been careful, but it still got scratched on the top in a few places...

this paint peeling thing is really annoying... especially because I know it is a known problem that has been fixed before... I think the problem is that the genius sees the paint chipped on the back of the machine and thinks I have abused it and now want Apple to fix it.... bologna!

how can I get this fixed without shelling out the $450+ he quoted for me? Because the PB is going in to be serviced for the loose hinge anyway... I may as well see if it can be done, right?

he already put a case on file about my computer... I'm sure he said something about my paint problems...

what are my options? what is the best way to go with this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member

another small chip by the latch...

any way I could use this as leverage? it is the same guy taking care of us...

I have also noticed that one of the powerbooks behind the bar has so MAJOR paint damage above the CD drive as well...

also how would I check for electricity on the case? sometimes my wrist stings like it is being shocked by the powerbook... happens to my thighs as well when i have used the PB in shorts...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, sadly enough that's pretty normal on the Ti.

(paint damage above the CD drive is usually due to a watch that someone wears.)
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah, sadly enough that's pretty normal on the Ti.

(paint damage above the CD drive is usually due to a watch that someone wears.)

normal as in it happens a lot or normal that this should NOT be fixed under warranty?... they are not the same thing.... just because it happens a lot does not mean it shouldn't be fixed...

I don't wear a watch... and if i did I would wear it on my left hand
  • Reply 4 of 18
    both. it happens often and (technically) is not covered under warrenty. (as in it's normal wear and tear)

that being said, different people have had different results. i know that some people go in to an Apple Store, ask nicely, and it's taken care of. other have 0 luck at all.

i think in large part it depends on how big of a customer you are. i work at the second largest University in the US, so we get good treatment. my Ti has a weird LCD issue, so they just gave me a new machine, which also fixed the paint issue. the replacement Ti hasn't had near the problem my original did.

you can also look online, a few folks now sell Ti touchup paint.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

you can also look online, a few folks now sell Ti touchup paint.

Tipaint.com?

no thanks have heard many horror stories about them...

so I guess I don't have many options... unless of course in fixing the hinge issue they have to replace the middle casing ... but why do I think that would never happen?\
  • Reply 6 of 18
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Not to get your hopes up, but I know a couple people who sent in their Ti's for another problem under warranty, and everything got fixed including the middle casing thing. I thing their worn-away paint was worse than yours, though.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    yeah, i should also mention it helps a lot if you have chipped paint but no dents. makes it look a little less like abuse.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I should note that there is a LOT of bubbling that I could not document here with pictures... it is around where the chipping is on the right and is obvious to see that this is what caused the chips in this area...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    here is an old thread of mine....http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=15726

alcimedes-note your responses...

and another

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=15312
  • Reply 10 of 18
    well im sending my unit in tomorrow... if anyone has any advice before I go, please post

I hope they fix it just because they are nice \ ::crosses fingers::...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    funny part is, in the mean time they did come up with a version of the Ti that didn't chip/bubble as easily. if they fix it you'll get one of those models.

you could always hope something terrible happens to your laptop (if you're a bit crazy) and then they'll fix the paint while they fix the real problem. (what they did for me)

i still stand by my original responses.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    well I sent it in..... the genius didn't document the paint problems, so there is a possibility that they may get fixed.... ::crosses fingers::

but on a positive note, my sister's computer came back with a bigger HD !
  • Reply 13 of 18

that is all I have to say... I will post pics later!!!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    This sort of problem probably contributed to PowerBooks now being polished rather than painted.

Getting a bigger hard drive from a repair is quite nice!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    This computer is brand-spanking new...

the ENTIRE outside casing was replaced, even got a new power button!! the only thing that looks used is the keyboard! AMAZING!! I dont want to take pictures just yet... but i will as soon as i have time... but the difference is AMAZING. It looks like the airport reception is MUCH better as well... this repair has breathed at least a year and a half of life into this machine...

as soon as the battery charges fully i will see if that was replaced as well...

nope, same battery, but there is a new plastic cover over the inside behind the battery
  • Reply 16 of 18
    see, Apple isn't evil after all, eh?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

see, Apple isn't evil after all, eh?

whoever said apple was evil?

I was just disappointed with how they dealt with my sister's computer...

but now that both incidents turned out better then expected...

A HUGE thanks to the repair techs in Texas that took good care of my computer!

and so quickly too, TWO DAYS WOW!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Glad to hear things worked out so well for you. it's interesting, my Ti has a lot of the same issues yours did, although the paint chipping isn't quite as bad. The little "nubs" are worn down below the case-level. And most notably, I have similar case separation at the front corners. Oh well, it isn't as beautiful as when I bought it (going on 2 years now) but it still runs fune, so I can't complain.