Dual 450 Mhz G4 tower: What's it worth today?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've come across one of these for sale, and I was wondering what you people think this is worth today. Not too much, I reckon. Is it even worth buying this? I'm looking for a second mac, to use in conjunction with my iBook, but it should be powerful (that's my main concern, it's not that urgent though, I can hold out a few months in the wait for better deals). What do you people think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    It's always better to wait. I wouldn't go for that machine, as it is old. My geuss it'll fectch somewhere between £300-450
  • Reply 2 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I saw someone here in Vancouver sold the Dual 500 for $1800 CDN (1200 US...can you believe that?)......I know it's way too high.....but don't know why duals keep their value pretty well.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    That price is ridiculous. Although it should mean my Dual 1Ghz should hold it's value pretty well....

Way overpriced though. This would almost mean Dual 800 would cost exactly the same as a Dual 867...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Leonis, did that person throw in a monitor and s/w or just the tower? If it was just the tower, that is way expensive.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Leonis, did that person throw in a monitor and s/w or just the tower? If it was just the tower, that is way expensive.

Yes it does come with the monitor.....14" Apple Vision....costs $50CDN max....

Software? Does pirated PS, XPress count?

All in all....that buyer is completely insane or has no brain. If I were the seller I would laugh with my butt off....
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

All in all....that buyer is completely insane or has no brain. If I were the seller I would laugh with my butt off....

I prefer to laugh with my ass ON to start personally

Chas
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

I prefer to laugh with my ass ON to start personally

Chas

I like "off" better than "on"....when you are really saying that by mouth "off" is easier to pronounce
  • Reply 8 of 13
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    I have a dual 500 that I bought from a person who replaced it with a dual gig. I paid $900 at the time (2 years ago) for it and considered that a great buy. It runs OSX great and the additional storage (I added a 120 gig to the standard 40 gig hard drive) gives me space to store movies and large photo files. (my Nikon D100 creates 17 MB image files).

PS: Leonis, the Radeon I got from you is driving my 2nd display, has worked perfectly since I got it from you, Thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

PS: Leonis, the Radeon I got from you is driving my 2nd display, has worked perfectly since I got it from you, Thanks!

Really? I thought the original Radeon only can drive one monitor....
  • Reply 10 of 13
    This will give you some idea about the dual 450 G4.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...727853222&rd=1
  • Reply 11 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

This will give you some idea about the dual 450 G4.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...727853222&rd=1

Quote:

We wont go into the detailed technical specs, if you know your Mac, you know what you are talking about!! Auction included the original CD's for OSX 10.3

ebay is robbery
  • Reply 12 of 13
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Really? I thought the original Radeon only can drive one monitor....

Right, I bought a Radeon PCI (7500) to drive my other monitor. So now I have dual Radeon cards driving a 20" NEC Multisync and a 15" Zenith monitor/HDTV combo.

Although I mainly use the Zenith for watching TV, when I use photoshop, and other apps with a lot of palettes, I flip it over to "PC mode" and put them there.

Interestingly, my system recognizes "dual display" even when the Zenith is in TV mode, so it makes a great place to hide desktop clutter and folders I want to be "invisible"

• Reply 13 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

ebay is robbery

I like when they have "Location: PAYPAL" on there.