Connecting Sprint PCS Cell Phone to PowerBook: Possible USB driver Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, here's the skinny:

I have a Sanyo 6200 cell phone on the Sprint PCS network. Its NOT a Vision (Sprint's 3G network) phone. I have Wireless Web (the older 2G network).

Now, I just bought a USB data cable at RadioShack (FutureDial, says its 6200 comptable). The software available for this cable is all Windows (sigh) only. However, I figured I'd be OK because USB support would be built into OS 10.2. But, when I plug the cord and phone into a USB port, I do not get "Sanyo USB Phone" or whatever as a network port option in the Network Pref Pane. I looked at the FutureDial site, and that was no help. Would it be that the phone itself does not support USB connectivity (the original data kit from Sprint had a serial cable)? I found a webpage where the author described going in and hacking the USB driver in the System Folder, which sounds a little scary to me. Is there some other driver I could use to get the phone recognized? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    h228h228 Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

OK, here's the skinny:

I have a Sanyo 6200 cell phone on the Sprint PCS network. Its NOT a Vision (Sprint's 3G network) phone. I have Wireless Web (the older 2G network).

Now, I just bought a USB data cable at RadioShack (FutureDial, says its 6200 comptable). The software available for this cable is all Windows (sigh) only. However, I figured I'd be OK because USB support would be built into OS 10.2. But, when I plug the cord and phone into a USB port, I do not get "Sanyo USB Phone" or whatever as a network port option in the Network Pref Pane. I looked at the FutureDial site, and that was no help. Would it be that the phone itself does not support USB connectivity (the original data kit from Sprint had a serial cable)? I found a webpage where the author described going in and hacking the USB driver in the System Folder, which sounds a little scary to me. Is there some other driver I could use to get the phone recognized? Thanks.

Go here for a modem script.

This site has some info about connecting to the older wireless data services with a Mac. I've seen many more resources on connecting to PCS Vision with OS X, so my guess is that it would be less hassle to use that service.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    h228h228 Posts: 26member
    I also read at MacSprintusers that connecting the USB cable before starting the computer has helped some who had trouble getting it recoginzed.

Hope this helps.