Kernel panics under 10.2.6

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I upgraded to 10.2.6 last week, and I've already had 2 kernel panics with it, one while shutting my computer down, and another when I had left it idle for several hours (as soon as I started using the computer again, it panicked in less than 3 minutes).

I've had a total of maybe 10 panics with OS X, and I've been using it since 10.0. At least 4 of those were from flaky SCSI firmware under 10.1.x, so two kernel panics in less than a week is a very high number for me. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I had my first kernel panic last night in OS X ever.... it's 10.2.6............ What are you supposed to do after it happens... just restart and ignore that it happened? or what?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Have you added anything new to your machine around the same time as the update (RAM, USB devices) ?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by n a d n e r b

I had my first kernel panic last night in OS X ever.... it's 10.2.6............ What are you supposed to do after it happens... just restart and ignore that it happened? or what?

generally you can just ignore it, restart, and be on your way. if you're curious, you can try to cause it to happen again, then file a bug report with apple. most of the time they don't repeat themselves.

-

Gizzmonic: the fact that it happened after your computer was inactive for a bit, then started to be used again, might imply taht it was a hard drive issue again. maybe the drivers choke on spinning the drive back up. that's just a guess though, i'd have to get more info to be sure.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm going to scoot this over to the Genius Bar for further dissection.

For what it's worth, I haven't had a KP with either of the last two updates.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    10.2.5 was my kernel panic nightmare. but since updating I too have not had a single one. I am not sure how many are experiencing it. However, I have taken great strides to improve my bad computer habits while updating. Example...I now quit all other applications and don't mess with it until it is done. Stuff like that.

If you find your cause, I hope it is easily fixed.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Have you added anything new to your machine around the same time as the update (RAM, USB devices) ?

Nope. I guess thuh Freak is probably right about it being hard drive related, since one of my partitions crapped out on me today (DiskWarrior in OS 9 was able to save it).

The hard drive in question is set as slave on ATA0 (same bus as main hard drive; it's the 40GB Maxtor mentioned in my signature). Anyone having similar problems with a similar setup? My system specs are in my signature file...thanks guys for all your help!