iPod as home stereo system

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've been considering getting an iPod but just haven't been able to convince myself. I just don't see myself walking around with it. Hell, I just don't walk around very much. I ride my bike to work, and I think I should keep my hearing unobstructed while riding, and I have a CD player in my car, and at work, etc.

But what got me thinking again about the new iPod is that we've been considering getting a new stereo system. We moved into a big new house last year and so the stereo system went into the family room but now we have a living room with no stereo.

So what I've been thinking is that the iPod with dock can connect to powered speakers, and could potentially be used as a cute, tiny little stand alone stereo system. It seems ideal because it would be extremely small but could hold hundreds of CDs worth of music.

Does anyone do this? Does it make sense? Where's the flaw?

I'm not an audiophile (audiophiles are wankers IMO), i.e., I don't mind AAC/MP3 quality, but I imagine the speakers would matter, so I'd probably have to buy them. Any thoughts or suggestions on using the iPod in this fashion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I did that. It makes a whole lot of sense. No flaw whatsoever. Go for it!!!

In fact, given the loads of new contacts on the new iPod connector, I wouldn't be too surprised if down the road we see new base/cradle/chargers with wireless remote controls. Just add your powered speakers or stereo receiver and you have a simple, small, fairly inexpensive yet great sounding system for whatever your needs might be.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I'd be all over this too BUT I'd need to have two little things things first (and the first one is already covered I think).

1 - iPod dock with a connection to my receiver and speakers.

2 - iPod wireless handheld remote with smallish LCD so I can browse/play the titles from anywhere (well anywhere in the room anyway). UHF remote would be even better but I wont be holding my breath.

If I could only get those two things I could ebay my Sony 400 CD auto-changer and free up a ton-o-space (that sucker is big) where my gear is located. For a v2.0 of this setup I'd love to see the iPod be able to play stuff from any other mac on the network (like iTunes can do now).

Oh well... maybe someday...

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Couldn't you just hook up your computer to the stereo? I'm not much of an audiophile either (if I were I'd have replaced the Radio Shack cables and battered second hand amp at the core of my music set-up), but I do notice a huge difference in sound when I have my powerbook hooked up compared to the iPod playing the exact same music files.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Just to qualify - I'm using a 20gb iPod with Monster Cable mini-jack adaptor...the sound might be better via the dock...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Couldn't you just hook up your computer to the stereo? I'm not much of an audiophile either (if I were I'd have replaced the Radio Shack cables and battered second hand amp at the core of my music set-up), but I do notice a huge difference in sound when I have my powerbook hooked up compared to the iPod playing the exact same music files.

I could, but 1. I don't have a computer close by, and 2. I don't have a stereo in my living room (which was the point of my post)

When you say you notice a difference in sound, do you mean through the headphones?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

I'd be all over this too BUT I'd need to have two little things things first (and the first one is already covered I think).

1 - iPod dock with a connection to my receiver and speakers.

2 - iPod wireless handheld remote with smallish LCD so I can browse/play the titles from anywhere (well anywhere in the room anyway). UHF remote would be even better but I wont be holding my breath.

Yeah, the first one seems to be taken care of with this new iPod. And I don't use a remote now for my stereo, so I suppose I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have one.

Another problem is that I have my stereo below my TV, and so when I got a DVD player I made sure I got one with regular CD as well as MP3 capability, and then I replaced my CD player with the DVD player. But of course that DVD player won't play AACs.

\
  • Reply 7 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A rumor site (take it with a large grain of salt, of course) suggests that an upgraded iPod dock is on the way for use with a stereo system. Stay tuned.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

When you say you notice a difference in sound, do you mean through the headphones?

It's more pronounced over headphones, but there is also a noticable difference over speakers. Not that the quality of the iPod sound is bad...its just a lot better straight from iTunes. I live in a tiny NY apartment, so everything is pretty close together
  • Reply 9 of 16
    What I'd really like is a a wireless box that I could plug into my stereo that would stream music from my Mac(s). iTunes 4 kind of lays some ground work for this with its Rendezvous Streaming. It would be a little bit o' airport, a little bit o' iTunes, and a whole lotta music from my stereo that isn't in the same room as my Mac. I mean, I could theoretically do this right now with my PB: use a mini-stereo to RCA cable to plug into the stereo's aux in, network it wirelessly to the 2 computers upstairs, and voila. The thing is, it would be infintely cooler to not have to have a whole computer involved, I mean, there isn't a lot of room by the stereo Anyway, yeah. I think something like this has been brought up before only also involving video. Who knows...we shal see...

SH
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

It's more pronounced over headphones, but there is also a noticable difference over speakers. Not that the quality of the iPod sound is bad...its just a lot better straight from iTunes. I live in a tiny NY apartment, so everything is pretty close together

I suppose the amplifier is much less powerful in the iPod than in a Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

I suppose the amplifier is much less powerful in the iPod than in a Mac.

but u cut down really heavy

2 speakers

(connecting to)

an amplifier

(connecting to)

a new ipod with dock

or a mac with itunes

latest powermac and latest imac have an amplifier integrated..so u dont HAVE to have an amplifier with them...just hook them up to speakers with some sort of adapter

see..i have a tapedeck..2 turntables...a stereo tuner...a mixer...an amplifier...2 speakers and a mac

i dont play cds...i just mix with vinyl and hook my mac to the amplifier and do all sorts of things on it..including itunes

i wont change it...but i suggest...DONT HOOK UP the ipod...its better to use a mac...its better to have access to it...u need a remote...really...think of it...the ipod dock concept is ok...but a bluetooth enabled mac with itunes and clickerapp and mobilephone remote is perfect

\
  • Reply 12 of 16
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I'm not an audiophile by any means, but, like Bill M, I've done what you're considering with my 10GB iPod (scroll wheel). I have mini-plug to RCA cords attached to my main stereo (consumer surround system in the living room), a used Bose Wave radio in the basement, and old, powered, computer speakers in the garage.

I like using the Bose (which replaced an older component system): decent volume (I live in a small house), no cord clutter, and small size.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

...and I have a CD player in my car, and at work, etc.

In my car and at work are where I use my iPod most -- even though, yes, I do have a CD player both places.

My car stereo has a line level input, so I can hook my iPod up directly -- I really don't like the cassette adapter or FM transmitter approach. If you listen to music in your car often enough, it's worth looking for a head end that'll take a line input.

At work I simply plug my office PC's speakers into the iPod. Unfortunately, I can't play my music too loudly without disturbing others, but I'd rather listen at a whispher than use headphones.

Lately, I think of CDs as either something to play on my "real" stereo system, or source material for ripping -- I don't like carrying CDs around for portable or away-from-home use.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

My car stereo has a line level input, so I can hook my iPod up directly -- I really don't like the cassette adapter or FM transmitter approach. If you listen to music in your car often enough, it's worth looking for a head end that'll take a line input.

Unfortunately mine doesn't. At least I don't see one anywhere.

But I just ordered the 15 gig iPod. Hopefully I'll get it in two weeks or so, and then I'll head over to Best Buy or someplace similar and pick up some powered speakers and give it a try.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I had my Pod hooked up to my stereo and used it constantly. It's a very good idea and it sounded tremendous.

I also used my iPod during (very) long car journeys and it saved my life: if you get an adapter you won't regret it.

I also used my Pod on bicycle journeys, almost every day I had it, and I recommend that too. It got me to My Place of Work on shuffle: Radio Sabeh. Excellent.

I'm glad you're buying an iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I'm glad you're buying an iPod.

It means a lot to me that you care.