Kensington mouse takes rotary idea

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The apple patent for a rotary mouse seems to have been produced-- by kensington. See it herehttp://www.kensington.com/html/1331.html

This was 3 years ago!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    FYI, here's a picture and review of the product.

Not sure how it compares to Apple's patent though. No longer seems to be sold.

theFly

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On
  • Reply 2 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The apple patent for a rotary mouse seems to have been produced-- by kensington. See it herehttp://www.kensington.com/html/1331.html

This was 3 years ago!

Ahhhh yes making this Current Hardware right? Or at the least in This thread.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Actually, this is very new. My point was that if apple were to use the rotary idea in a future product, that it would not be new , per se.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Actually, this

What an annoying web page.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Yeah. Those boxers are definite turnoffs. And onlt ONE link on the whole page!? I must say that all of Kensington's dedicated product pages suck, like this. And all of the URLs are obnoxiously long. http://thatsmistermousetoyou.kensington.com!? COME ON!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Hmm..I gotta get me some of that Scroll Ring Technology action! (eeugh)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Yeah. Those boxers are definite turnoffs. And onlt ONE link on the whole page!? I must say that all of Kensington's dedicated product pages suck, like this. And all of the URLs are obnoxiously long. http://thatsmistermousetoyou.kensington.com!? COME ON!

That mouse in that URL listed above looks awesome! Anyone know about if it has bluetooth or if it is supposed to recieve bluetooth in the near future? And if anyone has it can you tell me how you like it?

Thanks

Logan
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Couple comments on the Kensington Studio mouse linked to above

The tracking is poor, I had a replacement sent because I thought it was bad! even with software/no software, os X os 9, winXP.. it was VERY laggy and no good for games or design

The mouse LOOOKS awesome, but the white rim gets kinds dirty pretty easily.

The back of the mouse has no support (it is a flat slope) and you hand craps after using it for a while

I would recommend this mouse: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

had everything I wanted, wireless, rechargable base and excellent tracking so I can now design in Photoshop again!

Plus it has some nice scroll buttons, the logitec has those but they were a real pain to get going (it was a track pad instead of a wheel)

also the Logitec has forward/back buttons that work incredible for browsing the web!

no extra buttons you are easily able to hit (like the MS explorer mouse)

and it is very comfortable and suportive.

Go try one its an excellent mouse!

the Logitec has it beat in terms of looks, but like *some other companies* it has more looks than function.

Kensington has said they are making a Wireless Studio keyboard and as long as it dosen't have many downfalls I am all over that if it looks as good as that mouse!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    spiffsterspiffster Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

whater stalkerdeapplenut just said about the MX700

ditto, I have both the MX500 and MX700. Both kick arse. Best mouse ever designed IMHO.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Has anyone used the Macally RFmouse or dotmouse ? The dotmouse has a kinda neat look to it (only $20, too!) , and the RFmouse looks plenty good.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    The ring on the Kensington device is different than Apple's proposed scroll-wheel mouse. First, the Kensington thing was a track-ball, not a mouse. Second, Apple's seems to be hinting at OS/GUI improvements or features that will integrate with this wheel.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Man, I really, really like my Kensington Optical Elite. Better than my old Logitech.

But I think if Apple comes up with a 'dial' device on a mouse, it won't be a ring. I imagine it will be something like the rotary sensor on the iPod. No moving parts.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

Man, I really, really like my Kensington Optical Elite. Better than my old Logitech.

But I think if Apple comes up with a 'dial' device on a mouse, it won't be a ring. I imagine it will be something like the rotary sensor on the iPod. No moving parts.

MOUSE KICKS ASS! using now..cheap too and if it breaks they send u a new one.