How to combine "Location" and "Sharing" settings?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to/utility that lets you combine the Locatoin and the Sharing settings so you can select your custom networking environment as you already can choose a location form the Apple menu?

Thanks in advance!

Roland

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Is there a way to/utility that lets you combine the Locatoin and the Sharing settings so you can select your custom networking environment as you already can choose a location form the Apple menu?

Roland, wie geht's? Wir haben schon 'ne Weile nichts mehr von dir gehoert. Wie laeuft's mit dem Jura Studium? Ich schliesse voraussichtlich im Dezember ab. /s/ Der andere Roland.

Back on topic: I don't know how to combine Location and Sharing settings either. But there's a lot of room for some very practical innovation in this area. For example, I would love it if my e-mail client, Eudora, could figure out which e-mail account to use based on whether I'm connected to the WiFi network at Uni or my ABS at home. It would be even better if it could stopp checking e-mail when I get out of AirPort range. (Right now I check manually to avoid error message when I loose my connection.) In fact, there are a whole series of functions that we could usefully tie to the Location setting, e.g. sharing, mail accounts, power settings, desktop (e.g. to hide an indecent desktop in public ) and many others.

I seem to remember a piece of shareware, maybe in OS 8 days, that brought more sophisticated location-based settings than what was available within the OS at the time. It was reviewed on O'Grady's PowerPage years ago. But I don't remember its name, nor have I heard anything about it recently. Who knows, maybe it's still around.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Und ich dachte, ich wäre der einzige, der hier hochdeutsch spricht

http://homepage.mac.com/locationmanager/ is a tool that lets you have sets of various settings, as Mac OS Classic's Location Manager did it. I don't know if it works with Sharing, though.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Wow. Thanks, Chucker. Or should I say dankeschön?

It looks like Location X will more than fill the shoes of Apple's Location Manager in OS 9. I bet a sharing plug-in for RolandG isn't off.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I still think that if they made Locations into an AppleScript trigger engine with some built-in knowledge of the System Prefs, with pre- and post- script hooks, that it'd be *perfect*.

But that's just me.

Okay, okay, so I'd also like to see it be able to export/import Locations as well... I have a bundle of locations that I only use when visiting family across the US, and they get in the way most of the time. I'd like to be able to export those to a file, then swap them out when I'm travelling. Sort of a Locations Locations.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You know, this is just too funny. I forget whether the current Location Manager under OS X came with 10.1 or 10.2 (definitely not 10.0). In any case, I remember using the "Automatic" setting for a while. But then I realized that Automatic wasn't automatic at all, and was about as smart as a 4 year-old. So I set up locations, which I now change manually. Manually changing locations also gets me an IP (via DHCP) much faster. Even with all these fancy new processors and software, human brainpower (and common sense) is often still far ahead.

Escher