Terror in Riyadh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Blast(s?) in Riyadh kill many people. click

Al Qaeda's work? This guy seems to think so.

Fox is reporting that the body count is not ~90, not ~20 as originally reported. Very bad.

It's still a breaking story, so for now if we could keep the politics out and news updates in that would be fantastic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    I´m pretty surprised this didn´t happen before.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Terrorist attacks in Riyadh against American interests are nothing new.

Khobar Towers AFB. November 1995. 19 dead Americans.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    . This story tells of at least 90 killed.

• Reply 4 of 58
    I know this isn´t the first time this kind of things has happened in the area. What I meant was I´m surprised how little active terrorists have been since 11/9/01. At last they got what they wanted (a reaction from US) so why didn´t they continue their part of the ongoing "war"?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    If all they can do is to blow things up in their own country, that's the next-best sign that we're winning. This sounds like their biannual major attack - and if so, fine. We can live with a few buildings in Riyadh getting blown up every few years.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

If all they can do is to blow things up in their own country, that's the next-best sign that we're winning. This sounds like their biannual major attack - and if so, fine. We can live with a few buildings in Riyadh getting blown up every few years.

You seem to be misunderstanding the situation.

The situation in SA makes a few things rather clear. Al-Queda's command structure is in much better condition than previously believed. They are able to plan things in secret, respond to police pressure and even severe disruption of their cells and still turn around and carry out their attacks. A large number of the cell members were in police custody as late as last week. They managed to attack their captors, escape from jail, slip underground, obtain more supplies and carry out their attacks......In 7 days

And in the end, the security of the leadership that ordered the attack was not comprimised.

Furthermore, all signs currently point to this being the tip of the iceberg w/regard to future attacks in Saudi Arabia.

The fact they have not chosen to attack the U.S does not bode well for us. It would be well-within their capabilities for them to do something like Monday's attack here. They have simply decided to wait. They are very paitent people and are willing to go without attacking for as long as it takes to prepare something that lives up to everyone's expectations.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wait wait wait, we pulled our troops out of SA. Shouldn't the terror have stopped?
  • Reply 8 of 58
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Wait wait wait, we pulled our troops out of SA. Shouldn't the terror have stopped?

Yes, but terror knows no logic.....\
  • Reply 9 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The attacks were apparently aimed at places where Americans were. And Powell is there.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo

Furthermore, all signs currently point to this being the tip of the iceberg w/regard to future attacks in Saudi Arabia.

The fact they have not chosen to attack the U.S does not bode well for us. It would be well-within their capabilities for them to do something like Monday's attack here. They have simply decided to wait. They are very paitent people and are willing to go without attacking for as long as it takes to prepare something that lives up to everyone's expectations.

Time will tell. But this their first major attack since 9/11, and it shows something of a regression in their capabilities. Neither of us can read their minds, but for their post-9/11 debut they hit a softish target (civilian) at a softish time (post-Iraq) within their base of operations (Saudi Arabia). More a statement of weakness ("Hey! Don't forget us! Over here!") than strength ("You can't stop us from doing what we want, where we want, when we want!").

As an aside, I'll be as patient as they want in waiting for them to "prepare something that lives up to everyone's expectations". Again, we can't read minds, but if it's really so hard for them to repeat something on the 9/11 scale, that means we're not doing too badly.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    A short but interesting article in The Times about Vinnell Corporation. Terrorists attacking terrorists.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Unfortunately, further attacks or attempts will come in the future. Even if Bin Laden is killed or neutralized, AL Quaeda will continue to do his dirty work.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS ...

...a few out of the hundreds of reasons that millions of protesters hit the streets in the lead up to the war on Iraq. It didn't take all that long either, did it?

Now they assigned a color to a day again, as if that makes us somehow safer? What do we do when it goes back to yellow again? We can all relax again and be off our guard, eh?

Another attack on the US mainland... and Ashcroft and Co. will be rubbing their hands together.

• Reply 14 of 58
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Would anyone care now to step up and say the war in Iraq did anything to prevent terror? Bear in mind that:

1) Various nuclear facilities have been looted

2) You could get what you wanted off a poor ex USSR republic or Pakistani market without going to Saddam (who killed people who prayed too hard) anyway

3) Saddam didn't any have any nuclear bombs

4) There is no WMD to found in Iraq

5) Saddam hated anyone against him or that could have endangered him, like al Qaeda

6) Mubarak was RIGHT and this has recruited many more militants

7) The Iraqis, Arabs and Muslims hate us more every day

8) Bombs are going off all over the world. The war on terror is a joke and will never, ever work.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    It looks like the final #s for the Riyadh bombing are ~30 killed total. <80 for the Riyadh and Morocco attacks combined.

No Americans.

--

Harald:

Quote:

Would anyone care now to step up and say the war in Iraq did anything to prevent terror?

Did someone here say it did?

I don't exercise to make my teeth whiter.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

It looks like the final #s for the Riyadh bombing are ~30 killed total. <80 for the Riyadh and Morocco attacks combined.

No Americans.

--

Harald:

Did someone here say it did?

I don't exercise to make my teeth whiter.

Now THAT's what I call revisionist history.

Remind me what THE DAMN POINT OF THE WAR WAS?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Harald:

Quote:

Now THAT's what I call revisionist history.

Remind me what THE DAMN POINT OF THE WAR WAS?

WoMD

oil

Humanitarian crisis re: Hussein & sanctions

As far as al Qaeda being THE POINT of the war... I don't remember it being THE POINT. Ever.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Powell went a long way in the SC to prove a connection between Al Quada and Iraq.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Besides I don´t think New ever said Al Quada or prevention of terror was THE stated reason for war. Its just that the reasonS for war seems to become hollow one by one.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Besides I don´t think New ever said Al Quada or prevention of terror was THE stated reason for war. Its just that the reasonS for war seems to become hollow one by one.

The war was always, always, always

part of the war on terror.