Which AirPort Extreme base station to get...does anyone use the extra antenna?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I will be getting a 12" PB soon and want to use AirPort. Is it worth the extra money to get the base station w/the antenna jack? How is the range/performance of the base station w/o this add-on?

If any of you use the extra antenna, would you please post your opinions of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I live in a 2-bedroom 1000 sq. ft. condo. My AE base-station (no antenna) is in my office, and I have it's broadcast strength set to 50% and it works fine when I'm anywhere in the condo.

Of course, the layout and construction materials of your home, type of cordless phone you use, etc.; can all affect your individual performance, but that is how it is working for me.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    for only $50 more, i'd go with the "deluxe" model. you may never need the extra antenna or the modem, but it's nice to have the option.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    I bought the 250$ model, I do not currently need the modem of the antenna but for only 50$ more it seemed better just to get the top model in case I ever did need the additional features.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    So, noone uses the antenna? I think I'll use the $50 some where else...thanks fellas.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    signal strength depends on the content of your walls as well.

may want to rethink your "savings"
  • Reply 6 of 11
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I currently run my 12" PB from the airport card in my iMac and well the range isnt that great. Anyways I am planning to get a base station soon and I'm gonna get the one with the modem built in and the external antenna port. First of all I live in an apartment and the base station is going to last longer than I'll live here so I like have the option for the atenna just incase. As for the modem, well I have DSL but if I move it takes forever to get DSL hooked up and the modem will come in handy.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    microwaves are also bad for airport
  • Reply 8 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

I will be getting a 12" PB soon and want to use AirPort. Is it worth the extra money to get the base station w/the antenna jack? How is the range/performance of the base station w/o this add-on?

If any of you use the extra antenna, would you please post your opinions of it?

I have a footlong and an AE base. Signal stength is not very good in our typical 2 story tract home. The base is upstairs on the outside wall. Upstairs recpetion is 70% unless you are in the same room with the base (which we never are), then it is higher. Downstairs is worse, usually 50% or less. The cable modem is upstairs so that is why the base is installed there.

I'm not very pleased with this and I wish I had bought the base with the antenna port.

Anybody know how to add an antenna to an AE base?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Anybody know how to add an antenna to an AE base?

Check out www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/ for info on how to attach antennas to any kind of base station. The current AEBS can have an MCX external connector, though I think it's a lot easier to simply open it up and attach a MC-Card connector on the inside. Cheers!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Constantin

Check out www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/ for info on how to attach antennas to any kind of base station.

Constanin: What a great honor to see you here on the AppleInsider boards. Your instructions for replacing the two blown capacitors in the original gray ABS saved me the price of a new ABS. And they revived my soldering skills in the process. Thank you! Kudos for your ABS website and other accomplishments.

Cheers,

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    When it came down to it, I changed my mind and went w/the $250 version of the base.

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I figured that it was a good move since I'll be moving soon and could be stuck w/ no high-speed for a few days.