is 10.3 worth the wait

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i've heard news 10.3 is due about july/august. i don't know if thats optimistic or even reliable info.

but since i plan to get my ibook in july i wondered whether it would be worth the wait for 10.3 if it doesn't come out til late july or aug even.

i mean, what more will 10.3 have? any ideas, i didn't think they're likely to have revealed what it will have yet.

i really don't know if i should wait for it, though i'm working on the presumption i'll get it if i buy a new ibook once its out, since apple seem to ship latest editions of their own software.

also as its 10.3 and not 10.2.7(8?) does that mean its not a free update but a different version altogether and therefore charged at a price to upgrade to from 10.2. is this correct?

whats the official news on 10.3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The only official news about 1.3 is that it's named Panther, and that it will be revealed to developers in June at the World Wide Developers Conference. Other than that, no one has a real clue on what's coming. Feel free tosearch this forum to find some speculation, but there's nothing concretely known about it.

As for the up-to-date program, if you buy an iBook with 10.2.x on it, and Panther comes out within I think 90 days, I think Apple will let you purchase it for $20, but don't quote me on that. There's been a lot of confusion on this since 10.0 shipped, and it's not something I've had to deal with myself.

Sorry I couldn't help out more... \
  • Reply 2 of 6
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I think this thread covers most areas of panther with "informed guessing" and rumors.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

As for the up-to-date program, if you buy an iBook with 10.2.x on it, and Panther comes out within I think 90 days, I think Apple will let you purchase it for $20, but don't quote me on that. There's been a lot of confusion on this since 10.0 shipped, and it's not something I've had to deal with myself.

Sorry I couldn't help out more... \

when apple formally announces 10.3s existance they will explain an upgrade path and it usually follows as "any machine or OS X box bought from today until 10.3 is released will be eligible for a 'free' upgrade, but they will have to pay $19.95 S&H..."

10.3 most likely won't be coming out until september... the EARLIEST possible date is 8/23/03 but I'm betting it will be as much as a month or two later... the timeframe will be called "mid fall" or something similar...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the EARLIEST possible date is 8/23/03

Hey, just in time for a nice birthday present for myself
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

but they will have to pay $19.95 S&H..."

A small price to pay for the upgrade I think
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Panther will undoubtedly have cool stuff and you will undoubtedly want it. Everything else is speculation and guesswork.

If price is a concern --- and going by Apple's example, you'll have to pay full price to upgrade to Panther -- I'd wait another five weeks until Jobs' WWDC keynote on June 23.

Much more official Panther information will be released then, including features, and hopefully pricing and release date.