Dual Displays

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How many Apple displays can you run off of a single Mac? Is the maximum 2? Or can you run 3 at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    Depends on how many video cards you're willing to buy. One monitor on the built in port, if you have 3 pci slots, 3 dual montior cards = 7 monitors.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bobw

Depends on how many video cards you're willing to buy. One monitor on the built in port, if you have 3 pci slots, 3 dual montior cards = 7 monitors.

Well here is what I want to do more specifically. I want to run three displays side by side for an advertisment, but I want to be able to have monitor spanning so I can move across all three displays with a single mouse. Is that possible?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    Sure is.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    michaelmichael Posts: 25member
    it's deviously simple to set up. As Bobw said, you're pretty much limited to the number of graphics cards you want to buy. But Bobw forgot that the newest Powermacs actually have five slots, one agp and four pci. so if you put a dual-head graphics card (a card capable of running two screens at once, independantly), like any radeon since the 7500, you could actually run TEN displays off your Powermac.

When you open up the displays control panel, a panel of options will pop up on each screen. The panel that comes up on your "main screen," will allow you to arrange the virtual positions of the displays, i.e. control where your mouse will go when it leaves the bounds of the main screen.

It's really easy, and perhaps I'm not exaplining it very well, but the bottom line is that what you want to do is very easy, and is limited only by the depth of your pocket book.

ciao,
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the help Bobw and michael....I appreciate it.