dot.bomb

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"dot.bomb"

a book by david kuo, a story of the insanely rapid rise and fall of a real-life dot.com in the late 90's and 2000-2001. funny thing is, if you read the story, then go to thinksecret.com, and re-read their recap of the rise and fall of powerschool, you will be amazed at how they followed almost the exact same pattern.

anyway, i rarely read book these days, so when i actually stumbled on one that held my interest for several hundred pages, i figured i had to put in a good word.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I flipped through it.

Doesn't he also bash Amazon.com a bunch in the book.

Many Dot.coms were just flat out silly assuming that money would just appear from thin air. Lot's of good companies however went up in smoke.

America was fun at that time. It was the last Gold Rush we've had.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Many Dot.coms were just flat out silly assuming that money would just appear from thin air. Lot's of good companies however went up in smoke.

Is it silly to believe that the earth is covered with water when you are on the Atlantic?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Is it silly to believe that the earth is covered with water when you are on the Atlantic?

That's irrefutable proof. Profits from a dot.com structure were not.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

That's irrefutable proof. Profits from a dot.com structure were not.

The earth isn´t covered with water. But as long as you don´t see anything else its reasonable to assume it is.[/playing sematic games]

Likewise with the dotcommers. They made buisness plans that required huge transfusions of money for a lot of time. Everybody else around them was doing it and investors actually lined up with their buckets of green just to send it down a very visible hole in the ground. Its reasonable for unexperienced young half buisnessmen/half geeks to expect it was working. Hell even the prez said we had entered the era of the new economy.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Dude, good line. Have to remember that one, so I can use it in conversation and appear smart.

• Reply 6 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Likewise with the dotcommers. They made buisness plans that required huge transfusions of money for a lot of time.

i was just stunned at the tale of this company. just when you thought they couldn't do anything more stupid, and that they had lost their last dollar, they got someone like paul allen or fred smith of fedex to dump more millions and praise into their checkbook.

and even in the end, amidst the smoking ruins, the loose nut that was their founder still thought it was everyone else's fault. hell, i bet he read the book and STILL felt like it was never his fault. and in the end, you feel like the author has been dazzled for so long by this ceo that he paints him as a sympathetic figure, when he didn't turn out as the billionaire he dreamt of, but only a multimillionaire with an enormous estate in virginia. wow, wish i could "fail" like that.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Oh I see your point Anders.

It's just funny. Maybe it's just hindsight being 20/20 but the internet cannot change everything.

It doesn't

Make Dating any easier.

Make buying a car easier.

Suddenly change every business model there is.

It does make shopping a tad easier ..but then so does a Catalog.

The internet was hyped beyond belief as some sort of existential force that going to rapidly change the way everyone does business. In ways that's true but in many it was not. Hopefully we are a little wiser today.