Can an iBook replace a Graphite iMac for daily use? URGENT

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thinking about the 14" one to replace my iMac. I have to sell this one on to a relative this week. My current mac suits my needs so I don't see a problem in that area.

I use my mac daily, several hours a day for various things but not really straining it. Fairly simple office work and emailing. iTunes off course....

I travel reasonably frequently and now here in Belgium there're putting a lot of effort in wireless internet (most cities will be hot spots by the end of the year) these days.

So I thought about the iBook (some told me to go with the 12" PBook but this is too far over budget for me - I have to draw a line somewhere...).

Thx for the info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The 14" iBook should be a fine replacement for your iMac.

If your eyesight is still OK, and you're planning to take advantage of all those wireless access points, you might look at the 12" iBook, too.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If you're getting an iBook and your vision isn't bad get the 12".
  • Reply 3 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    If you're getting an ibook, and want your eyesight to remain good for some years to come, get the 14".
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Go with the iBook, it will definatley be better then the Graphite iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    You'll love the iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The key word in your post was "Travel". For that reason alone I'd recomend the 12. I have it and also take it travelling and the size difference is really importand both when lugging it around and using it on small seats. It's got the same pixles so it gives a super crisp image.

In addition to carrying it on and off along with all your other gear, it doesn't take up all of your hand luggage space. Its robust - mine rarely gets into a bag as I'm often working untill the last minute. It now has a fantastic patina, but it does not look beat up.

But choose the one that suits your needs. and it will reward you.

Tom
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    For travel, my 12" is so nice. After getting it, the 14" Wallstreet it replaced seemed so huge (it was... 8 lbs, 2" thick). I use it on a college campus, with wireless access points all over the place, and having something as small as the iBook is very helpful.

But don't just order one or the other... find some you can use side-by-side and see which you like better.