New iPod OS X install

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone managed to load up OS 10.2 onto their iPod yet? I've tried twice but haven't been able to get a clean install. First time I tried the apple splash screen just hung on me - next time I had to enter unix command to reboot or continue installation. What gives? anyone know how to do this proplerly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, tough call, digital hub or genius bar. i'll put it in digital hub for now, it's been getting more traffic lately. if it doesn't get any hits there, a move to GB would be nice.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kaemankaeman Posts: 9member
    Cheers!

Edited
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I have another question to add:

How do I set up an iPod, windows formatted, with a Mac OS Extended partition for X? Can it be done?

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I have a mac version and tried the partition idea first. Ideally, I wanted to keep one for iTunes and the other as a boot drive under OS X for troubleshooting my iMac and data storage. I tried different confiurations but each time I plugged in the partitioned 'pod it recognized alternate sides tried to update iTunes to both.

I went back to one partition and loaded 9.2.1 without a hitch - boots from the 'pod fine and I can use Norton, Diskwarrior etc under 9, but heck, I wanna forget 9 and move up to OS X native disk utilities - that was a big factor in opting for the 30gig over the 15. I hope Apple haven't altered the ROM or software on the new pods to stop X from being used on them.

Anyone had more luck than me out there...?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moved to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Someone suggested using Carbon Copy Cloner to take the system (sans apps etc.) offof my iMac and plonking it onto the pod. I'm not familiar with CCC - any thoughts on how it might work out - appreciate some comments out there. I'm ichin' to get an OS X boot drive up and running on this puppy.

best
  • Reply 7 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    why do you need to partition it? imo that will make things harder on the iTunes side... just setup the pod as 1 partition and then add all the music you want, then after that is square try to load the OS from a jag CD onto the pod...

(the OS doesn't need to be on the first 8 gigs of the drive, does it?)

that should work...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I gave up on the partition because of the problems you mentioned and went back to a single drive. I used 10.2 install disk, but had problems with the apple splashscreen hanging on the start-up on the first attempt - so reformat - restore iPod software - install 0S X; then gave me Unix 'restart' or 'continue installation' prompts the second time. I tried both - neither worked. OS 9.2.1 is no problem, just Jag.