Need help with VPN (WOW am I in over my head!)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help.

I am trying to use my Mac (an 800mhz ibook running OSX) to access my work computer (a windows machine running Windows NT, connected to a server running Windows 2000) over the internet via VPN.

I don't know if there is a simpler way to do this, but here is the way I was trying: Using Virtual PC 5, I installed Windows NT on my Mac (ugh!), I installed PC Anywhere on my Mac, and had my network guy at work install PC anywhere on my work computer and give me some sort of VPN license on my Mac that would allow me to establish a connection over the internet. The plan was, establish the connection, then launch PC anywhere. This seems crazy! I wouldn't mind if it was working,but it doesn't seem to be working.

Is there an easier way to "assume control" of my work computer via the internet using native Mac software? What do I need to tell my work network guy about mac's OS/ VPN capabilities in order to help him (he's a Windows guy!!!)

Has anyone out there done anything like this?

Arg!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I believe Microsoft has exactly the thing you want, although I don't know if it will allow access over the internet. See here.

Quote:

Remote Desktop Connection Client 1.0.1 for Mac allows you to connect to a Windows-based computer and work with programs and files on that computer from your Macintosh computer. To connect to a Windows-based computer, you need network access and permissions to connect to the computer, and the computer must be running Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services.

Alternatively, you may want to check at the possibilities offered by either Timbuktu or Dave, two programs that do about what you want (although I'm not sure about the required configs).

I do know that PC Anywhere is possibly your worst bet. This can be done easier.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Well, well, seems Microsoft RDC will be your best bet, as it DOES offer
    Quote:

Internet access: Internet connection through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

Help.

I am trying to use my Mac (an 800mhz ibook running OSX) to access my work computer (a windows machine running Windows NT, connected to a server running Windows 2000) over the internet via VPN.

I don't know if there is a simpler way to do this, but here is the way I was trying: Using Virtual PC 5, I installed Windows NT on my Mac (ugh!), I installed PC Anywhere on my Mac, and had my network guy at work install PC anywhere on my work computer and give me some sort of VPN license on my Mac that would allow me to establish a connection over the internet. The plan was, establish the connection, then launch PC anywhere. This seems crazy! I wouldn't mind if it was working,but it doesn't seem to be working.

Is there an easier way to "assume control" of my work computer via the internet using native Mac software? What do I need to tell my work network guy about mac's OS/ VPN capabilities in order to help him (he's a Windows guy!!!)

Has anyone out there done anything like this?

Arg!

are you able to get a Mac copy of the vpn client they use? if so, then you would not need virtual pc, you could then install vnc server on the work machine, and mac vnc client on your mac. this is what I do, and it works great(and it is freeware) and since vnc is available on just about everything(mac,windows,linux, unix), you can use it from almost any type of machine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    drcreationsdrcreations Posts: 104member
    I have the same situation. However, I use VNC for both:

Work = Win2000Pro w/ VNC Server

Home = OSX Jag w/ VNCTHINGY client.

If your behind a firewall at the office, make sure you specify and open a port for it.

You can also use an ssl connection with VNC if you wish.

And best of all, It's FREE
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You will probably have problems if NAT is used in the configuration.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    i really appreciate the replies. I'm hoping if enough people respond with helpful suggestions, I'll at least have something to report to my network guy.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Look at the VNC stuff it includes a VPN part.

Are there any firewall restrictions at either end? Is NAT used at either end. Is encyrption used ie DES, AES?

Has this been done before?

I personally cannot recommend running a PC emulator to access another machine over the next as the software. PCAnywhere, VNC, Remote Client, Termincal Services etc all have native mac versions.

If you need to connect to your work site then normally your techie would give fairly good instructions on how to do this and which software is allowed etc.

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Help.

RDC/Terminal Service will not work. It will only work if the client is running w2k server or XP. I am not sure about PC Anywhere as I have not used it but as other have suggested, VNC and its variants would work very well.

However, do you really need to literally control your work computer? If not, you are better off installing whatever Windows app you need in your VPC5 and just access the data files on your work PC. This way, you reduce the sluggishness that is a byproduct of programs like VNC and PC ANywhere.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrCreations

I have the same situation. However, I use VNC for both:

Work = Win2000Pro w/ VNC Server

Home = OSX Jag w/ VNCTHINGY client.

If your behind a firewall at the office, make sure you specify and open a port for it.

You can also use an ssl connection with VNC if you wish.

And best of all, It's FREE

This may be a stupid question, but what is VNC? How do I install it at work? What info do I need to give to my network guy so that I'm "speaking his language"?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    drcreationsdrcreations Posts: 104member
    Quote:

This may be a stupid question, but what is VNC? How do I install it at work? What info do I need to give to my network guy so that I'm "speaking his language"?

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.

You can get it here:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Take Care
  • Reply 11 of 11
    With VNC you can either get the default port (5900) enabled on the firewall or define your own.

NAT does have problems though.

Dobby.