iChat In OS 9 or Something Like It

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all ...i need some help....my bro has a 7300/180 powermac that can only go up to 9.1 and i have a dual 867mhz powermac with Mac OS 10.2.6....he use's the 7300 for typeing but we just set up a network with our macs and i know you can use ichat with other 10.2 users to chat on a LAN...but is there a app i can dl for os 9 that will make him pop up in the Rendezvous window of ichat as my buddy.....does the AIM app for os 9 work on LAN? is that a way? I would just like to chat to him with ichat and not need to dl another app.....hope you understand what i'm trying to do and can help out.....thanks

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Hey all ...i need some help....my bro has a 7300/180 powermac that can only go up to 9.1 and i have a dual 867mhz powermac with Mac OS 10.2.6....he use's the 7300 for typeing but we just set up a network with our macs and i know you can use ichat with other 10.2 users to chat on a LAN...but is there a app i can dl for os 9 that will make him pop up in the Rendezvous window of ichat as my buddy.....does the AIM app for os 9 work on LAN? is that a way? I would just like to chat to him with ichat and not need to dl another app.....hope you understand what i'm trying to do and can help out.....thanks

Frank_t

Try checking http://www.versiontracker.com
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You can just use AOL Instant Messenger for OS 9. It'll work - you don't have to use Rendezvous to transfer files. I've often used AIM to transfer files between multiple computers. Basically, if you're on the same LAN, it'll automatically use your LAN even if you're not using Rendezvous. Try it out, it's super fast.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Frank_t

Have you thought of getting off of your butt every so often to go and talk to your brother in person?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SnapMail worked for me. (will have to be in classic on the OS X side)

If you are all OS X you can use this.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Well my bro is the room next to my one and to get up and tell him something all the time would be a pain in the ass.....i want to chat to him from within ichat but i don't think AOL app works on LAN and with iChat offline....does it? i'm Mac OS X his Mac OS 9.1 i'd hate to use classic to chat to him, take alot of ram to chat

Frank_t
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Well AOL Instant Messenger for OS 9 doesn't work...any other ideas?

Frank_t
  • Reply 7 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    can he go online?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    no...and he doesn't want to he only use's that mac for typeing and quake 2

Frank_t
  • Reply 9 of 10
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

can he go online?

Quote:

no...and he doesn't want to he only use's that mac for typeing and quake 2

Frank_t

Well.... then you are probably screwed. Sorry. Tell him to get a new mac. (j/k)

I don't think there is anyway to do this without hosting somekind of server in your place, and you probably don't want to get that complicated.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    i don't think i can make him get a new mac just to type in word and chat to me....as much as he likes macs his not that nuts about them

Frank_t