Buy or wait on an iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My parents need a new Mac and they want a flat panel iMac. They could wait possibly a month longer. Any scoop on anything happening with the iMacs in the next month? I thought I read somewhere earlier that there may be some changes to the iMac in October. I realize this is all speculation but isn't that why we're here? Thanks for any input.



[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: AsahiToro ]</p>

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If you can wait, wait.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    If they want it now, buy it now.



    Apple just dropped the price on the 15", SuperDrive model by $100, making it $1699. That's an incredible price for an 800MgHz G4 processor and the ability to burn DVDs.



    Go for it!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

    <strong>If they want it now, buy it now.



    Apple just dropped the price on the 15", SuperDrive model by $100, making it $1699. That's an incredible price for an 800MgHz G4 processor and the ability to burn DVDs.



    Go for it!</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I'm fairly happy with specs for the money of the low/mid iMacs now but would like to see a better video card on the 15" model and possibly a 133mhz bus. The GeForce 2 is pretty dated and since it can't be changed, I'd like to get as much of a card as possible now. They don't need a SuperDrive and the 15" screen is fine for them. I'd spend a little more and go with a low end tower and seperate flat panel for them instead of the 17" model.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If you can't wait, buy.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If you buy, you can´t wait.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    if you can't buy, you wait
  • Reply 7 of 20
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If you can wait I'd say do so. They haven't updated the things in 10 months now so something has to be coming. It is just a matter of when. So basically hang on as long as you can then when you can't hold it anymore...buy
  • Reply 8 of 20
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I bought one of the 17" iMacs. My intent was to give it to the kids in 6 or 8 months when I got what I really wanted in a tower and 22" cinema. I have to say I really like this machine though. Other than a few of the really demanding games, this machine seems pretty snappy. I was using a 7300/200 before. Dial up internet was almost bearable with this machine and since I have gotten DSL it is wonderful! In the store the 17" screen didn't seem all that big. But, once its sitting here on the desk, it seems huge. The widescreen format is great since it lets you have web pages open and still have room on the side for other things. So bottom line is, if you need a computer now, I don't think you'd be dissappointed in the 17" iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Wait, always wait. In fact, never buy.



    Or, if you can, buy it but leave the tag on and then return it the next day.



    Screed ...thinking about not selling his TangBook and not buying an iceBook.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    After i bought my ibook in April, a new faster 700mhz model came out in a month's time at the same price....



    Moral of the story, if u can wait, wait. or at least till Oct 15, there are a few threads that say something is gonaa happen on that day.... but dun have yr hopes too high.



    And dun forget to buy more ram, will make your Mac expereince much more enjoyable.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Waiting is fine, but you can get burned doing that too. You wait 2 months for MWwhatever because you think that the next best thing is coming... and it doesn't. Then you've just wasted 2 months for nothing. You go to order the computer, but see on the web that people are saying that it will DEFINITELY get updated at the next show, since it wasn't updated at this one. So what are you going to do, wait another 3 months?



    You can wait forever. I guess you have to ask yourself what a few months of actually having a Mac sitting on your desk is worth to you...



    There are times though when it makes complete sense to wait. If you were in the market for a PowerBook right now, I'd say you were insane if you ordered one today. Pretty good chance of an update very soon.



    iMacs are also due, but the $100 price drop makes you wonder how much longer they're going to keep it where it is right now. They wouldn't drop the price, then rev the line a week later. Maybe a MWSF update? Who knows. If you do wait, and they don't touch it until January, you've just lost 3 months of enjoyment on a nice new Mac.



    Tough call timing Mac purchases, that's for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I've been waiting for a G5 for - oh - 1 year +...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by grad student:

    <strong>I've been waiting for a G5 for - oh - 1 year +...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    looks like u have to continue waiting
  • Reply 14 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    No No, ,buy now and help clear the channel.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

    <strong>Tough call timing Mac purchases, that's for sure. </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Espeically to you
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by AsahiToro:

    <strong>My parents need a new Mac and they want a flat panel iMac. They could wait possibly a month longer. Any scoop on anything happening with the iMacs in the next month? I thought I read somewhere earlier that there may be some changes to the iMac in October. I realize this is all speculation but isn't that why we're here? Thanks for any input.



    [ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: AsahiToro ]</strong><hr></blockquote>





    The general rule is, wait as long as you can before buying. However in terms of the iMac I'd say buy now. I don't see a major upgrade in the near future.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by goof_ball:

    <strong>The general rule is, wait as long as you can before buying. However in terms of the iMac I'd say buy now. I don't see a major upgrade in the near future.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Sorry to make the decision more difficult, but they may be prime for a speed bump to 1GHZ since the pros are all duals.



    But probably not till January 2003 MWSF. Bear in mind, that's just my uninformed guess.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    chromoschromos Posts: 190member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

    <strong>



    Sorry to make the decision more difficult, but they may be prime for a speed bump to 1GHZ since the pros are all duals.



    But probably not till January 2003 MWSF. Bear in mind, that's just my uninformed guess.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I don't know... I'd be terribly surprised if Apple didn't try to make a compelling consumer lineup in time for Xmas. (But then again, we've been disappointed before.) This is such a bad economic environment, they really should forget about MWSF03 for coming out with any consumer-oriented.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    when you look at where apple is right now, there are lots of things which either have been or are slated to be in the pipeline. there's faster 800mbit/sec firewire, faster airport, a new pioneer 4x superdrive, the persistent rumors of an updated powermac enclosure, rumblings about updated powerbooks, ibooks and studio displays...not to mention that the clockspeed of the flat panel imacs are certainly due for a bump....it all adds up to lots of stuff that may debut in the next couple of months.



    given that, i'd wait until MWSF to get a better sense of what's cooking. if you need something earlier, get something...but you may be very glad you waited just a bit longer.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Just FYI... Macmall.com is selling the baseline iMac no frills for $999... ! I tried to talk my girlfriend into needing it (I just bought an 867 quicksilver) but I gave her my old G3 450 so she doesn't need it... damn my generosity... damn it to hell...
Sign In or Register to comment.