Apple deliberately stifling 3rd party iPod developers?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From iPoding:

Quote:

It has been two weeks since the introduction of the new Docking iPods and announcements of compatible accessories have been noticeably slow in coming.

Why? It's all about the connectors...

Those two proprietary ports on iPod, for the remote (at the top) and Dock (bottom,) require hardware developers to source the connectors from a vendor specified by Apple. Developers must receive authorization from Apple for each product they intend to produce using said interfaces and are barred from announcing products prior to receiving approval.

There have only been hardware announcements from two developers so far. They are both special cases, Belkin and Dr.Bott. As far as we can tell Belkin paid big money for the privilege of having the first, and only, non-Apple branded, Dock Connector equipped accessories (Backup Battery Pack and Auto Kit.) Dr.Bott has only announced a Burton AMP Jacket interface, which is a pretty low volume item and probably received expedited approval from Apple to keep Burton (and those who shelled out $500 for the jacket) happy.

As we all know, everybody has different taste and different needs regarding accessories. One of the things that would make the iPod even better for all of us would be the availability of customized third-party remotes, chargers, transmitters and interfaces. Unfortunately, Apple has other plans.

Question: is it possible to develop and manufacture compatible connectors as an alternative to using Apple's supplier? Or does Apple have some kind of patent on the connectors? Does patent even cover interface pin design? Is there any way to modify a design to circumvent the patent?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    I just think that Apple wants to make sure that 3rd party developers are using authorized connectors to avoid problems.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I just think that Apple wants to make sure that 3rd party developers are using authorized connectors to avoid problems.

Exactly. They just don't want the headache of tech support for incompatible or crappy hardware. If your iPod blows up after plugging a gadget in, they won't want to replace it.

As a workaround you can always reverse-engineer anything ? just get a team of excellent lawers to cover your a$$.

The best we can do is take it as it is.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    OMG!!! Two Weeks!!!

• Reply 4 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    HOLY CRAP! TWO WHOLE WEEKS!

APPLE IS DOOOOOOOOMED!

Ok, now that we settled that I do not think it's such a big deal. The accessories will come. This is no real big deal.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Oh, yeah? How about all those alternative remote controllers that were released for the original iPods? What's that? They weren't? Why? Because of the damn proprietary (sucky) connector. Now another two proprietary connectors. Fantastic.

a proprietary connector? on a mobile music device? for shame!

now, show me a portable music player with a remote that DOESN"T have a proprietary connector...

i'll be waiting here a while...