memory refreshing programmes??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i have got 1.5gig in me dual867, totally speeds things up for sure, but osx doesnt seem to release the memory when an app closes, as we speak i only have safari open and have 56mb free!!!!

Anyone know of any apps or tips in osx to free up un used memory?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    well for any interested ive found a programme that will refresh yer memory, its called Memory usage Getter.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Another textbook case of someone misunderstanding how memory works in Mac OS X. *sigh*

Even if you have gigabytes of memory in your computer, it is perfectly acceptable for Mac OS X to use up every bit of it. Mac OS X has a fairly intelligent caching system where it will hold as much information as it can in RAM. If you launch a program and quit it, Mac OS X will retain part of it cached in RAM so it will launch quicker the second time. If, however, Mac OS X finds that it needs that memory for something else, it will release it and use the memory for whatever its current task is.

Mac OS X, over time, WILL use up all but a few dozen MB of memory. This is due to this caching I mentioned.

You've got to let go of how you remember "Classic" Mac OS manages memory. Mac OS X's management is lightyears ahead of Mac OS 9's.

This is a Good Thing. This makes things Faster.