I met him/her through a friend...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So when people give that line when you ask them how they met their boyfriend/girlfriend, is that "code" for they actually seduced them out from a previous relationship? I'm beginning to wonder...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Actually, my girlfriend was my friend's girlfriend's best friend.

I know several people that are in similar arrangements through other friends. I think there's a good chance that when you hear that line that they're actually being honest.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Actually, my girlfriend was my friend's girlfriend's best friend.

I know several people that are in similar arrangements through other friends. I think there's a good chance that when you hear that line that they're actually being honest.

Yeah right. Brad, you have to learn to assume the worst in people!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Meeting people through your friends is the most typical way to meet your significant other. That's how most people hook up. That's how I've met all but one of my girlfriends. I didn't "steal" anyone's girl though.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I met a girl through a friend but I wasn't into her though and now I'm kind of reticent to talk to the original friend because she's between the common link. No theft of gf's in this case.

Of course it happens though....just watch Springer and Maury and Montel.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    met my wife through a friend.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

met my wife through a friend.

me too

( err..my wife, not your wife )
  • Reply 7 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

So when people give that line when you ask them how they met their boyfriend/girlfriend, is that "code" for they actually seduced them out from a previous relationship? I'm beginning to wonder...

Heh heh heh.

No I think the code is when you see the guy looking around to make sure her ex isn't hanging around. . . . . Or when they both bumble around when asked how they met.

• Reply 8 of 12
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Yes, good point!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    It's how I've met all my ex's. Never stolen someone else's girl. That's just wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Well there is the matter of how well you really know your mate and their life right before you came into the picture. You may think you wandered in and swept them off their feet. What you may not know is that they had the "undeclared boyfriend/girlfriend" which they were just waiting to ditch, and then you come along giving the ideal reason to get it over with. For all you know, she may have had 5 guys vying for her attention (completely unbeknownst to you), and you were the one she picked ultimately. (not saying "you" in particular; I'm addressing everyone in general)

Of course, then the "met her through a friend" line is perfectly legitimate in that case, since how could you know what sort of hijinx she was into in her "secret life"? When you ask her, she'll always say, "there was nobody else, besides you back then", but let's be honest (and pragmatic), how often do you think that was really the case? The "expert" usually does have multiple people lined up at any given time. When the "primary" goes out, you are swift to swap in the "replacement", so much like a battery. Maybe it wasn't even a "serious boyfriend" she had before you came along, but nevertheless, you took her from him, if not inadvertently (or maybe you could say she "let" you take her from him). The only difference is she never aprised you of the situation, but the physical "exchange" was essentially the same. Worse yet, the same could happen to you with "guy #3".
  • Reply 11 of 12
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    nobody said anything like thru AI in this thread?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I met my lady through a friend of mine who worked at the same company. I think it's pretty common really.